Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you import or convert and then import Real Media video into the Windows Movie Maker.

I did some research on my own and I found a suggestion to use AlltoAvi. But this program and this suggestion seemed to be geared to converting .rm files. But the files I have that I have used Real Media to download from the net are .flv files.

A little help, please?

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
flv files are not real media files. they're flash video files. and i don't think there's any straightforward way to import them into movie maker (in one step at least). You'll likely need to make an intermediate conversion.
The partially lossless way would be via flvextract (http://moitah.net) (needs .net framework 2.0). That'll losslessly rip the video stream into AVI. As for the audio it'll be converted to mp3 (except if the source audio is nellymoser - flvextract can't read that).
Then you'll need a decoder for the video codec - it'll be either vp6f or flv1. Use ffdshow-tryouts. Under video decoder configuration utility, enable both of those and set them to libavcodec. Do the same for vfw configuration, under decoders, codecs. The end file should be readable in movie maker (without any loss of quality on the video side).
If you need more detailed steps, just get back to the thread.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Then you'll need a decoder for the video codec - it'll be either vp6f or flv1. Use ffdshow-tryouts. Under video decoder configuration utility, enable both of those and set them to libavcodec. Do the same for vfw configuration, under decoders, codecs. The end file should be readable in movie maker (without any loss of quality on the video side).
If you need more detailed steps, just get back to the thread.
This is where you lost me. I don't know where to get these video codec's and I do not know what ffdshow is.

The program you suggested looks very interesting. It did produce the audio file. But it did not produce the video file. Instead it produced what appears to be two text or data files. One is a .txt file and the other is a .264 file.

What do I do next?

How will the codec files make this work?

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Ohh you got an h264 flv! I don't see many of those (most of the ones I see - like 95% - are FLV1 or VP6F).
So basically you got a raw H.264 stream (meaning it's just the raw video data - it's not wrapped in a container (a container is the file type - like AVI MPG MP4 WMV FLV MKV OGM RM etc. - inside a container you have streams (usually audio and video, but can be others like subtitles too) - the container synchronizes data from each stream so timing is right during playback) - that's what the .264 file is, raw video data without container. The mp3 file is audio (obvioiusly). Right now the two preferred containers for H.264 video are MP4 and MKV (matroska), neither of which is supported by Movie Maker!
I spent a while testing MP4 with Movie Maker, and to be frank it's quite a *****. Here are some instructions.
First make the mp4 file. Get YAMB. Get the installer (it'll also have MP4Box which you need, but is not in the standalone zip).
Before you install YAMB, go to C:\Users\yourusername and copy the "Start Menu" folder some safe place. YAMB's uninstaller has a bug and will delete the folder (I found that out the hard way on XP - not sure if it'll do it on Vista which you have, but I'd rather be safe than sorry).
Install YAMB and make sure the MP4Box box is checked.
Run YAMB. Under creation, pick create an MP4. Add your .264 and .mp3 files. For the .264 file, click properties. You have to enter the frame rate (if you don't know what it is, use mediainfo on your flv file). If you want it to be compatible with QuickTime check the box (didn't have time to test if that works or not yet) Then produce your MP4.
Next install ffdshow-tryouts. During installation, the screen where it says vfw interface etc... check all the boxes (doesn't take much space and could be handy later). On the page where you select what to decode, uncheck everything. When you're done, run the video decoder configuration utility (either check the box on the last page or run it from the start menu). Make sure codecs is selected on the left pane., the line where it says h264, set that to libavcodec.
Next install the Haali Media Splitter.
Just to be safe, reboot.

Now make a copy of your mp4 file. Change the extension of the copy to .mpg (or .avi or .wmv - something movie maker recognizes). If you don't see an extension, go to control panel, folder options, and uncheck "hide file extensions for known file types". Open Movie Maker. Go to tools, options, compatibility. You should see the ffdshow filter, although it's not checked. Check it. Import your renamed copy. It may or may not load properly. Click on tools, options, compatibility and this time the gabest filter should show up and be checked. If things don't look right, exit and re-import the file. In my testing, it doesn't always preview (sometimes it does, sometimes not), but if you drag it on the timeline it does preview.
I've had very mixed results.

Plan B if the above doesn't work.
Grab MP4Cam2AVI. And convert your MP4 to AVI. You DO need ffdshow-tryouts as mentioned above since the AVI will be H.264. The settings should be many -> many, source video, and source audio. If you're having problems, set the audio to mp3. In the end, feed that file into movie maker. It doesn't always work.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.