Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i come visit my parents and they keep getting these pop-ups while not browsing the net (altho they have cable). the pop-ups are grey backgrounded and only have an ok button and the 3 window function buttons in the top right, but they're always adds for the regular email spam related stuff. how do i end this "service?" it doesnt appear to be something running in task manager and it has nothing to do with ms instant messenger (which is not even running the in background)

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
Your parents need to install a firewall, they're getting NETBIOS messages from the Internet, a new form of SPAM. If they have XP, you can block them with the XP firewall, which should be enabled if you don't have a 3rd party firewall in any case.

·
Registered
2 Posts
re: windows messenger notices

You can also right click on the "My computer" icon on your desk top and go to "manage". Go down and open up "Services and Applications" and select "Services". In the right hand box, scroll down to "Messenger" and dbl click on it. In the middle of the box, there's a drop down window for "Startup Type". Click on the down arrow and change to "Manual".

-jim

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
The reason I didn't include instructions for disabling Messenger is this is treating the symptom, not the disease! :rolleyes:

There is nothing malicious about Messenger, it's the fact that there is no protection in place. Properly configuring the firewall will fix a whole lot more than just the Messenger pop-ups, it will also close a host of other security loopholes that aren't so benign. In addition, Messenger is used by a number of O/S features and 3rd party programs. The proper fix is to put some protection in place.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is very true, and to be honest, I'm not that familiar w/ XP. I know that in W2k, it's not a real issue to set "Messenger" to manual; but mainly, I was responding to the fact that it was his parents. My folks have barely gotten over their fear of email <g>,
so the thought of them dealing w/ a firewall boggles the mind.

But you're right, it is much better (and efficient) in the long run to use some sort of firewall. I wasn't aware that one came w/ XP. Any good links you can provide that have info on this?

Thanks,

Jim

============================
John Wrote:
>The reason I didn't include instructions for disabling Messenger >is this is treating the symptom, not the disease!

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
SPEEDO said:
When I load XP Messenger is the first thing to go.
To each his own. :rolleyes: You actually accomplish nothing by doing this, since I suspect you also setup a firewall.

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
jkotsonas said:
But you're right, it is much better (and efficient) in the long run to use some sort of firewall. I wasn't aware that one came w/ XP. Any good links you can provide that have info on this?

Thanks,

Jim

============================
John Wrote:
>The reason I didn't include instructions for disabling Messenger >is this is treating the symptom, not the disease!
I'd start at Microsoft and work from there. A Google search will turn up tons of sites with info on the XP firewall.

S

·
0 Posts
To each his own. You actually accomplish nothing by doing this, since I suspect you also setup a firewall
I accomplished getting rid of it for one thing...:rolleyes:

Even with the firewall I was getting constant activity of packets going in /out...:rolleyes:

After I removed Messenger it all stopped, Amazing............:rolleyes:

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
I have never disabled messenger anywhere on my network, and I see no messenger traffic, and I'd be amazed if I did! Since Messenger is a passive service, it doesn't spring to life and suddenly send something for the hell of it. :rolleyes: Messenger is not spontaneously sending messages, something else is happening on your computer, most likely spyware that uses messenger. I suggest you visit Ethereal and download their free protocol analyzer and see what's really going on in your network.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
only once did i ever get one on my machine and i had it still enabled, but my router has a built in firewall. they have just the direct ethernet connection to a motorola surfboard (no firewall) and are running no software firewall. after doing both no more spam. so cool.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.