Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wierd problem when playing MPEG files with it. When I run in 32-bit color, both versions of WiMP (6.4 and 7.0) will not play the video properly when scaled to full screen (though plays fine at the default video size). By not playing properly I mean it plays about 2-3 frames per second, very stuttery. At 16-bit color I do not have this problem (but the video looks like ****). I've had my ATI Radeon 7000 card for 1.5 years and have been running 32-bit color the entire time, this problem just started. AVI files play and scale beautifully at 32-bit. The video card is fine, it plays D3D and OpenGL games and screensavers very well. Windows 2000 and XP do not seem to have this problem. The only other app I have that plays mpgs is WinDVD (and it doesn't exhibit this behaviour), but I don't want that as my default player. Any suggestions?

:upset:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No luck there. I've uninstalled Media Player and reinstalled the latest version (7.1), downloaded DirextX 8.1b, and loaded up the newest reference drivers from ATI (it's a Radeon 7200, BTW, not a 7000). I'm beginning to suspect it's the MPEG codec itself.

Since Win98 supports playing mpgs from the get go, does anybody know what files comprise the MPEG codec? I can extract the files from the OS CD and see if that helps. I can't find anything in the advanced tab of the Multimedia control panel that tells me what files are used.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Woo-hoo!! It was the driver after all! I loaded up drivers I had saved from last year. Pity the newer reference drivers don't work as well. Thanks to all for your help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.