Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have updated to SP2 for my XP Professional version and received all updates in between; however when I try to update to Media Player 10 or 11 it says I do not have a valid product key....Why would it give me its "biggie" which was SP2 and not Media Player? I bought this computer from an individual but as far as I know I am "valid". Was valid enough to get the SP2! Does anyone know the answer?

·
Registered
6,641 Posts
Hi Jaycolye !

Did you get the Windows licence from the guy who sold you the computer as well ? According to Microsoft's EULA a licence key can only be used for one computer, which means that when someone sells a computer on which Windows XP is still installed he has to give away the licence for it as well. Maybe the seller has used the same licence to install Windows on different computers. It's a bit weird that WGA let you install SP2 but won't let you update to WMP 11 but there still may be some legal issues.

With the original licence (could be on a sticker on the computer somewhere or in the XP CD box or manual) you can phone Microsoft to check that that key is valid and not used by anyone else. There should be some instructions on how to do that when WGA detects an invalid product key.

You can also give the Key update tool from Microsoft a try :
http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/selfhelp/PKUInstructions.aspx

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for responding. I will try your suggestion. It is really weird that it let me download everything but Media Player. I saw on the internet where several other people were/had the same problem. Where suddenly their site tells you your key is invalid. I am thinking seriously about just calling Microsoft but cannot find their actual help # anywhere. As far as getting paperwork.....I just got the computer...Nothing else.....but it must be valid to let me have SP2 I would assume.......Thanks again....

Jaycolye:wave:

·
Registered
6,641 Posts
You'll need a valid product key to use the Key update tool. If you have none you'll have to buy one new license from Microsoft. As long as you own no license your copy of Windows is illegal and you may find you're unable to do updates anymore.

I would contact the guy who sold the computer to you to get the license. He should have sold it to you along with the computer or if he didn't want to sell his XP license then he should have formated the computer.

The product key should be on a sticker like this (called certificate of authenticity) :
http://www1.odn.ne.jp/mediahunter/coa.gif
See if there's none on your computer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.