Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After installing a new video card WMP10/9 locks up at "connecting". Have to do a power button shut down (dirty) to regain control.

All other functionality is fine with the new card. Any ideas?

Regards,
JF

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Problem persists with both WMP 9 and 10

Don't know if I have Windows Media Encoder...how do I verify?

Have tried uninstall/reinstall...no change

What I do know is that WMP9(or 10) works with my current ATI 9000 drivers uninstalled and also works with my old ATI Rage card.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
hmmm.....could be a driver issue. if you can, try uninstalling your current drivers and install a new set of drivers. to properly uninstall and install new drivers, download "driver cleaner" from www.majorgeeks.com and install it on your computer.

follow the instructions that comes with the program. good luck. also try using winamp and see if that helps.

P

·
0 Posts
Anything about WMP is available here Download and install the latest codec packs.

New drivers are available here

Did you try stressing the videocard with a heavy game ?

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Uninsalled/reinstalled drivers, no joy. Downloaded and installed Winamp, same lockup. It's got to be a driver issue I would think.

So, to get new drivers is no simple task. ATI wants me to download "Catalyst 5.1"...a group of drivers, most of which I don't need? But before I can do that I've got to make sure that I've got the Microsoft .NET Framework? And before I can download .NET I've got to be current on all MS updates.

There's got to be another way to get an ATI driver update.

The card has been "stressed"

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Latest drivers installed, decoder (Power DVD) installed no joy.

Both WMP and Winamp lock up.

·
Registered
380 Posts
jflan-
What video card did you install? I would query their site and/or Google search for possible confilcts. Are you sure you meet the minimum requirements for the new Video card? How much RAM do you have?

Andy

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
So, to get new drivers is no simple task. ATI wants me to download "Catalyst 5.1"...a group of drivers, most of which I don't need? But before I can do that I've got to make sure that I've got the Microsoft .NET Framework? And before I can download .NET I've got to be current on all MS updates.
Is there a reason you don't want or can't install the Critical Updates and Service Packs? I believe they are out there for a reason, it is essential to keep your computer's operating system and programs in top condition. That means keeping up with applying patches, hotfixes and service packs. Microsoft .NET Framework will be offered with those. Just think, your half way there :grin:

·
Registered
230 Posts
No disrespect but don't believe everything your computer tells you.
Download the latest Netframework here

Then install the latest drivers as the above posters have recommended.

I love MS (Geekgirl) but all the updates are out there but you don't need
to install everyone of them. Example MS wants me to install the Important
"Microsoft Security Bulletin MS05-040" Vulnerability in Telephony Service Could Allow Remote Code Execution.

A) I never use and never will use my modem in the computer.
B) You need to read the Vulnerability details regarding, Mitigating Factors
For this Bulletin it is "this is a local elevation of privilege vulnerability. An attacker must have valid logon credentials and be able to log on locally to exploit this vulnerability. The vulnerability could not be exploited remotely or by anonymous users." Quote Microsoft.

So my (roommate) has to be a hacker and logon locally to my computer to take complete control of my computer? It's easier with a Linux boot disk.

Worked4me

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Geekgirl said:
Is there a reason you don't want or can't install the Critical Updates and Service Packs? I believe they are out there for a reason, it is essential to keep your computer's operating system and programs in top condition. That means keeping up with applying patches, hotfixes and service packs. Microsoft .NET Framework will be offered with those. Just think, your half way there :grin:
Well, I didn't install .NET...There was an option to use the old control panel which didn't require .NET. My motivation is bloat. I didn't like the idea of going to Redmond, renewing my vows, and coming back with two bushel baskets of bloat :sad: And yes, I probably should be taking the MS updates more seriously, but I have been taking my chances with third-party security and it's working.

PIII 500
512MB ram
ATI 9000 64MB (AGP 2x)
3D Mark 2001 3273 (with the older drivers)
XP Home SP2

Everything works with ATI drivers uninstalled (on Generic drivers)
It's gotta be something simple that I'm missing :4-dontkno
And yeah, it's an old comp, but it's amazingly quick under a LITE XP.

Edit: I've had an e-mail channel open with ATI and have done everything that they have suggested to date.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Did you install the MS Media Player codecs like PurpleSky recommended
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/format/codecdownload.aspx
I have seen reinstalling the codecs fix a similar problem with Windows Media Player.

You should also download Gspot and then right click on the media file
open it with Gspot. Then check the Video and Audio Stats and see
if it says that there are ? compatable codecs installed for both audio
and video. Then click on the render and the Rendering Successful
and see if it states that the Direct show is capable of playing this file.
http://www.headbands.com/gspot/gspot251dl.html

Just asking but does this happen with All you video files or just a couple?

Worked4me

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Have done everything...then the machine locks when Gspot tries to open the file. It says all codecs are OK.

Other types of files will produce the same result.

Everything will work with the current ATI drivers uninstalled and everything was working with my old ATI Rage card...(just slow)

The drivers that came with the card are 14 mos. old and they too, will not work.

·
Registered
33 Posts
jflan said:
Well, I didn't install .NET...There was an option to use the old control panel which didn't require .NET. My motivation is bloat. I didn't like the idea of going to Redmond, renewing my vows, and coming back with two bushel baskets of bloat :sad: And yes, I probably should be taking the MS updates more seriously, but I have been taking my chances with third-party security and it's working.

working is it ?
sheesh, install the updates and/or get a legit copy of XP

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My copy is legit. Name someone of authority and I will PM my COA to that individual for verification.
Oh, and by the way, go scold someone else.

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
PIII 500
512MB ram
ATI 9000 64MB (AGP 2x)
3D Mark 2001 3273 (with the older drivers)
XP Home SP2
common, a user can choose whether or not they want to install Critical Updates and Service Packs. Yes, it is highly recommended but as long as the O.S. is activated and only gets installed on 1 machine it is perfectly legal.
He stated he has SP2 installed as posted above. It's then the users choice to continue updating or not. You should read each and every update that is being offered anyhow.

Obviously Microsoft .NET Framework is needed in this situation. Finding a workaround may be tough though.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Microsoft .NET Framework installed and still WMP10 locks up when trying to open an MPEG attachment. :sad:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.