Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am running Vista and recently my WMP 11 quit working with any videos, even ones it used to play before. It's been a whlie since I tried to watch videos so I don't know the moment it happened.

I have tried to install and uninstall many codec packs (K-lite, divx, xvid, ace, etc). The videos play fine in the Divx player, but when they play in WMP11 I get only audio, no video.

I have even tried to play older videos that I know worked previously with WMP 11. These videos also play OK on my desktop running Vista.

Thanks in advance...

g

·
Registered
189 Posts
I've had a very similar problem recently, still not managed to resolve it, even though i did once a while ago, but i have no idea how!!!
except the problem is playing DVD's I get an error about digital copy protection and graphics drivers need updating (according to wmp)

I know its codec problems, because I can play it in VLC.

Are you using x64 vista?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, I am using 32 bit Vista.

The thing is, it looks like you cant even uninstall/re-install it to try to fix it.

g

·
Registered
189 Posts
if you goto add/remove windows components, within programs and features (control panel), then i think you can there.
for some reason, the dvds have started playing again? weird... because i gave up with fixing it! and now they started again?
one question, have you ever installed any visualization packs, such as g-force?
i'm just trying to find out anything that our pc's have in common for this to happen..
i look forward to hearing from you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for helping out with this. I have never installed any visualization packs. I dont see any option to add/remove windows components. I remember that existing in XP, but I dont see it here. The only thing that comes close is the view updates option and the "turn windows features on or off" which doesn't include anything for WMP 11.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I found that but dont see any option to turn WMP 11 off.

I am all out of ideas. I have tried various codec packs. I've tried downloading WMP 11 from the MS site and install it over the top of this one, but it wouldnt let me because my version is newer or more up to date.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here are a couple more strange things associated with this. Even though WMP 11 will not play the video of the movie, it does display a thumbnail w/ an image from the video when you're looking through a folder containing the associated files.

Also, if I am in Windows Photo Gallery, I can play the video's just fine.

g

·
Registered
189 Posts
hmm.. i have a feeling its wmp being retarded..
has windows update installed any wmp related updates to your computer near when the problem happened? or changed anything else?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't have any updates directly related to WMP. The closest I have is 3 updates for Windows Media Center.

I have no real idea when this started because I almost never watched videos on the laptop until now. Now that I will be traveling with it for work it doesn't work.

Thanks..

g

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.