Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help. I have a HP media center computer. I have never used Media player and rarely use the Media Center software. Until yesterday when I tried to set up media player for my preshcooler to watch some video that I have on my HDD. Media Center view is very confusing for a kid so I thought I would use the Media Player and set up a library. Well nothing works. The darn thing will play a dvd in the dvd drive, but it won't play any video thats on the hdd including downloaded itunes video. Life in my house is becoming more unpleasent by the moment, because mommy can't fix Jake Long the American Dragon. AHHHH, I want to be able to configure Media Center or Media Player to show info on a video, ie rating, genre, thumbnail of cover, that type of thing. I would like to set it up to be as easy as possible to use, point and clink. So my little girl can get to her stuff visually. I spent hours on the phone with HP and they said I needed a file converter. Well I tried that and I'm only making a mess of things. There has got to be a way. I have to be doing something simple wrong. I did the search and it seemed to find the files but didn't add any of them. This is really driving me nuts. I can't believe that I would have to convert itunes files to play in the media center. Not to mention every other file type I have. Which I have no idea. It seems most are *.VOB but this thing won't add any of my video files, not home recorded dvd stuff, not itunes, not backup dvds. Please tell me what I'm doing wrong. I have searched everywhere I know trying to figure this out and can't. Thanks in advance for your help.
chris

·
Banned
2,148 Posts
I am a mature adult, have been messing with computers for about 10 years and I find Windows Media Player to be a complex pile of dookie. So it's no surprise that the preschooler is perplexed.

The freeware alternative I use Media Player Classic, which is much simpler and does a fine job of doing both video and audio.

Download here

Also, download & install the Klite Video Codec Pack, which will allow you to run DivX, Xvid and any other video format you might want.

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/K_Lite_Codec_Pack.htm

Please update this thread on how well/if this works for you.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much, this problem has been driving me crazy for about a week. I had to spend most of today "undoing" the damage I inadvertantly caused. I am also done with Windows Media player. After this mess, I'm not even going to take time to learn how to use it. I wil try your suggestions right away and I will post back to let you know how it turns out. Again, thanks so much.
christine

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.