Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I just baught Windows XP Service pack 2 home edition and use Windows ME (everyone gasps) lol, I used this forum long time ago I went *** when my email was in use. Haven't been here since August 9th 2005 lol. But anyways, it says on the box: For PCs with Windows 95 or Earlier, or PC's without an OS.

I use Windows ME, which is after 95. Will XP still install?

Need help ASAP.

·
TSF Emeritus
26,228 Posts
The best way to install XP on a system with an existing OS is to wipe the drive and do a clean install rather than an upgrade, after backing up all your documents, bookmarks and any files you want to keep.

Make sure you download the correct drivers for XP before installing.

If it says it's for "PCs without an OS" then it will be a bootable CD and should work ok.

Change the boot order in BIOS to 'CD first', then insert the XP CD and follow the on-screen instructions to format (completely wipe the drive) and install XP. When this is complete you can install the chipset drivers from the motherboard CD and the device drivers you've downloaded.

What size is your hard drive, and how much RAM do you have?

Post back if you need any more help.

·
TSF Team Emeritus , Microsoft Visiting Expert
3,258 Posts
Hi TWISTEDBroly, Hi koala

Here's a guide Microsoft put out for customers considering moving from Windows 98/98se/Me to Windows XP --- http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316639

In that guide, you'll notice mention of the XP Upgrade Advisor. You can download that tool and run it to check for compatibility --- http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/upgrading/advisor.mspx

That "Advisor" is actually already on your full retail version of XP, in the /i386 folder. If you've already opened the box, with Windows Me already running, you can pop the XP CD in your CD/DVD drive, and cancel any screens that result. Then -->
1. Click Start, click Run, type cmd in the Open box, and then press ENTER.
2. Type CD-ROM drive letter:, and then press ENTER. (CD-ROM drive letter is the drive letter of the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive where the Windows XP CD-ROM is inserted).
3. Type cd i386, and then press ENTER.
4. Type winnt32 /checkupgradeonly, and then press ENTER.

If you happen to not have opened your new Windows XP box yet, here's a financial tip: CompUSA has the Home Edition of XP on sale for $40 at the moment. If you have such a store nearby, give them a call to see if they have any left. It's an "upgrade" edition, but if you have an earlier edition of Windows CD, you can still do a "clean" upgrade with it (you simply insert your previous Windows CD when XP Setup asks for it, as proof of prior ownership). Most shops will let you return an unopened software box within ten to thirty days of purchase. Just in case this might save you some money.

You'd be best off with a processor 500mhz or faster, and with at least 256mb of system memory (ram), and have at least 1.5 gb of free space on a hard drive [you'd likely want at least 10gb or more to have a comfortable XP system, I'd recommend 20gb or better]...

Best of luck
. . . Gary

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.