Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon all,

I am trying to find out how I can get my mom Windows 7 for Christmas. She is currently running Windows ME. Do I have to upgrade to Windows XP in order to be able to get 7 on here? And if so which version of XP would be best? We are not super computer savy but I do follow directions well. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
If the computer's so old it's running Windows ME, I doubt it'll have the horsepower to run 7. If you run 7, you'll likely need a new system.
If you switch to XP, be sure you have plenty of RAM (256 MB is minimum, but 512 or more is better. I personally recommend 1 to 2 GB) and hard disk space (40 GB if you plan on minimal use, more if you plan on installing lots of programs and downloading stuff).
XP has two versions: Home and Professional. They're not very different, but Pro has a few extras (like seeing file permissions without booting into safe mode!) At this point in time, the price difference between the two is minimal.
One last thing you may want to run is the Windows XP upgrade advisor
http://download.microsoft.com/download/whistler/Utility/1.0/WXP/EN-US/UpgAdv.exe
It'll tell you about any possible incompatibilities.

P.S: No you don't need to upgrade to XP to upgrade to 7. If you buy a Windows 7 upgrade DVD, you'll need a Windows XP CD or Vista DVD (during installation) to prove you qualify for the upgrade. Not needed if you buy a full product version.

·
TSF Team Emeritus , Microsoft Visiting Expert
3,258 Posts
Hi all

tinydancr - And, just to give you a glance at today's market, a new Windows 7 laptop can be had for as little as $350 on sale - and there are a lot of sales during the holiday season. Even the least expensive laptop for sale today will be many times more powerful & capable than the most powerful laptop (or desktop) from the Windows Me era.

A new desktop can be had for even less (especially if you wish to re-use a monitor you already have).

College students can purchase Windows 7 for $30 if they are currently taking enough classes. Otherwise, the least expensive rate for a version of Windows 7 for home use is about $90 on sale (for an 'upgrade' version). Full retail versions cost more. The least expensive way to acquire Windows 7 is with a new PC. Best bang for the buck.

Best of luck,
. . . Gary

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.