Tech Support banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
GIGO
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Using imap e-mail server on Comcast Xfinity

I recently migrated from Thunderbird to Windows Mail... Thunderbird developed this issue with it "not responding" every time I bring it up, but that's another story and I just gave up on it... Anyway, I have several folders that I use to save and archive things like orders, travel plans, etc. But Windows mail doesn't see older messages. In fact if I look in those folders now there is nothing before June 2020. But these messages that go back many years are there... I can access them in Thunderbird or in Xfinity webmail. But not Windows mail. Windows mail says "nothing found" and to find older messages "search". Is there a way to fix this such that the entire folders contents are displayed and scrollable?

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
26,823 Posts
Select the eml files or group you want to export and designate in Save As>File.

·
GIGO
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But this is imap so all folders should fully synch automatically, right? And if I search for older files in Windows Mail it does find them. For instance I was able to find a product key email from June 2016 like that so Windows Mail is accessing the imap folders' contents. It just won't display the entire folders so I can scroll through them.

·
26,823 Posts
Windows Mail is an old feature originally designed as an OE replacement. I wish you had stuck with TBird and we could have fixed things. If you're on a current version of Windows 10 it might pay to convert to outlook.com. If you do, convert contents from TBird, not the app that's not working properly. Later you can bring over the very recent stuff from Windows Mail. If and when you're completely satisfied, delete Windows Mail and all its contents. Eventually, ditto with TBird.

·
GIGO
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do have MS Office on my desktop PC so I can use Outlook here. I just started that up and it works fine and does indeed synch the complete folders. Not sure if there is a free version for my laptop. I'll check...

·
26,823 Posts

·
Banned
14 Posts
Go to Start The Start Menu button. and open Mail.

At the bottom of the left navigation pane, select The Settings button .

Select Manage Accounts and select your email account.

Select Change mailbox sync settings.

To receive messages as soon as possible, under Download new content, select as items arrive.

Hope this information is helpful to you.

·
GIGO
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey guys I found the issue. There is a setting in Windows Mail that exactly addresses my issue... It is the setting for how far back in time to download e-mails. The default is 3 months which is what I was seeing. I changed it to anytime and the problem is resolved.

·
26,823 Posts
Really would have helped if you indicated you were using Comcast (Xfinity?) for the transfer. Both TBird and Windows Mail have their own import-export features. Anyway, glad it's solved.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts