Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is really beyond me...
everytime i start up win98 it asks me to enter a PW but i always click cancel b/c i have to PW to enter... how do i make this msg box go away for good? w/o loging onto a user? this is extremely frustrating b/c i have to babysit my pc when it boots so that i can hit esc. and let it continue loading the windows desktop (and my pc boots forever...) i remember that at one point it NEVER used to ask me for a PW and when i cliked "start" there was only "log off..." and not "log off [NAME]" i heard this has something to do w/ the network setup in the cp...
please help!? this is my first post on this board and i hope someone can help me out... thanks!:confused:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Give this a try.

Only restart on 6 & 8 otherwise choose "No".

1) restart and hit cancel/esc at the logon screen

2) in the network applet in the control panel, make sure the primary network logon is set to windows logon

3) remove all users from the users applet in the control panel

4) in the passwords applet in the control panel, hit the user profiles tab and select the all users of this computer... radio button

5) do a file find for *.pwl and delete any files found

6) restart

7) when prompted, enter a name but no password and hit ok (don't cancel/esc)

8) restart again and see if you're still prompted to log in

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
As Collinspc suggests - the password feature in Windows '9x is basically useless unless you're using it to have a different desktop for different users - most people don't do this.

If you enter a BLANK PASSWORD the first time, you won't be prompted for it anymore.

If you have already created it, but don't know what it is, find all *.pwl files and delete them. Restart. When prompted to enter username and password make sure the password is BLANK/EMPTY. Hit OK.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.