Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sister was having problems with her desktop computer freezing when Windows was loading. Would get to where the desktop is loading, with icons starting to show, would then freeze up. No new software or hardware was loaded. I’ve been able to get into her computer in Safe Mode or VGA mode. I've tried System recovery to an earlier date, System Repair and even re-loaded Windows XP (twice). Ran all anti-virus programs and system sweeps that I can possibly do in Safe Mode or VGA Mode. (Found a few things, but nothing that I see that would cause this problem.) After all that I did, Windows still freezes when I start up the computer in Normal Mode! When in Safe Mode or VGA Mode, I can be on for hours without a problem, only downfall is all your icons are HUGE!.. So when I change the screen resolution to a higher pixel and apply settings to continue, it would freeze up after loading. So would my problem be a bad video card? To me it doesn’t seem like it can handle the higher resolution.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Make sure you have updated drivers first of all. Both chipset drivers and VGA drivers. Don't bother with anything you found on accompanying CDs, get the latest from the manufacturers website.

EDIT: You may want to try to uninstall the existing VGA driver completely before installing the new ones btw.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Once I was able to reinstall my ethernet driver, I uninstalled the existing VGA driver and installed a new driver (That was up to date). Computer runs fine in VGA mode as long as my screen resolution is no more then 960 by 600 pixels and color quality is medium (16 BIT). Anything set higher and the computer freezes up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's what I was thinking (changing out the graphic card)... Her computer was working fine, then after awhile it started freezing up, more and more... Then it got to the point she wasn't able to even get onto her computer, it would freeze at the start up of windows. I was telling her it's probably her video card!.. But it's always good to get some knowledgeable opinions...

Changing out the graphic card is my next step... Hope it works!...

·
Registered
81 Posts
The thought crossed my mind, but honestly just running a higher resolution isn't enough to make a system go from working for hours to insta-crash. The difference in power consumption just isn't there.

·
Registered
81 Posts
My money is still on the graphics card for the reasons stated above :wink:

If you can try graphics card and PSU (separately of course) from another computer that's obviously a good idea, you never know.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm not even able to start my computer in normal mode, computer freezes up before it can even load up... I had an extra 2004 pentium computer for parts and I was going to use that PSU out of it, but it only had a 300W PSU. So now I have to order one, I'm getting a new PK 600W 20+4 pin Dual Fan ATX Power Supply Unit, which should be here next week (hopefully) in the mail... (For only $25, doesn't hurt to swap in a new PSU). If it's not the PSU, I may also get a new graphics card. If it's not one thing, it's another...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.