Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I've noticed recently that when I try to shut down my system I am getting stuck at the screen "Windows is shutting down". That's all the further I am getting.

I am running XP Pro SP2 on a system I built myself some years ago. I have tried disabling some unnecessary programs using msconfig. I have also ran Grisoft's Virus and Spyware scan in the hopes of uncovering something.

The only time it shuts down is when I run it in Safe Mode. When I discovered this, I thought I had fixed it and immediately tried it again in Normal mode but started getting the same problem.

I am only too happy to answer any questions that will help me resolve this.

Thank you!

Shawn

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Brandon,

Yes in the System Event viewer I see several references to fasttxtk and viamraid.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7026
Date: 12/3/2007
Time: 4:26:37 PM
User: N/A
Computer: PHOTOG
Description:
The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
fasttx2k
viamraid

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

also:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: fasttx2k
Event Category: None
Event ID: 4
Date: 12/3/2007
Time: 4:25:22 PM
User: N/A
Computer: PHOTOG
Description:
Driver detected an internal error in its data structures for .

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 00 00 00 00 01 00 5a 00 ......Z.
0008: 00 00 00 00 04 00 04 c0 .......À
0010: 02 00 00 00 c0 00 00 c0 ....À..À
0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

the viamraid reference throws me as I am not running raid.

Shawn

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Go to Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager and look for any devices with Yellow !'s or Red X's. Looking online shutdown issued may be caused by a bad driver and if any of those marks are present this most likely indicates an issue.

BMR777

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like a problem with the driver. downloaded it and it is asking me to build a floppy to update the driver. Naturally, my floppy drive isn't working grr.... Will troubleshoot that and respond back.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK,

sorry this took so long, i was a week out of town on top of everything else. I now have the proper drivers and still not able to shut down. Possible next steps?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This issue is still occurring. I no longer have any red x's or yellow ? and all seems to be good with the drivers.

I have also read else where that the log off .wav file could cause this so I set Windows Exit to none, same problem.

I disabled the XP icon logon page and went with the old logon window as this was also a reported work around and still get the same problem.

Does anyone have any more suggestions? Would a bios load help? Would love to shut this machine down gracefully once again!

Thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Brandon,

Couldn't screen print so copied down all process running.

alg.exe
wscntfy.exe
ipodservice.exe
taskmgr.exe
wmpnetwk.exe
winvnc4.exe
zlclient.exe
avgas.exe
smax4.exe
smax4pnpexe
pronomgr.exe
rundll32.exe
jusched.exe
explorer.exe
~e5.0001 ----> This makes me a bit nervous.
vsmon.exe
spoolsv.exe
svchost.exe
smagent.exe
pnkbstra.exe
svchost.exe
svchost.exe
svchost.exe
incdsrv.exe
lsass.exe
services.exe
winlogin.exe
csrss.exe
smss.exe
hpzipm12.exe
nsvc32.exe
svchost.exe
dkservice.exe
afvemc.exe
avgupsvc.exe
avgamsver.exe
guard.exe
applemobiledeviceservice.exe
webshots.scr
ituneshelper.exe
system
sysem idle process

Thanks for looking at this.

Shawn

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Do you use a VNC / Remote Desktop client on your PC?

It looks like ~e5.0001 may be related to CD copy protection for EA games.

Since you don't experience this hanging in Safe Mode I am thinking it is a program, as you have a lot running now on the PC. What I want you to do is go to Start > Run > msconfig and go to the startup tab. Uncheck everything except for your drivers, antivirus and antispyware programs. If you are unsure about an entry, either Google the name or post here. Then reboot. Once you reboot, shut down right away and see if with that minimal configuration if you still hang on shutdown. It's always hard to diagnose things when the computer has been in use for a while.

BMR777

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Also, I noticed that you use AVG 8. Make sure that you do not have any of the old AVG 7.X programs, such as antivirus or antispyware installed alongside AVG 8 as this will cause conflicts. You can check for AVG products in Add / Remove programs.

BMR777

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Brandon,

I am running AVG but it is 7.5 only. No other versions are running.

I have gone through and deselected items as you said in msconfig. As an extra mile effort I went through add/remove programs and removed all programs that I haven't used in forever. Ran a defrag and still in the same boat.

One thing, I went through a while back and tried to "optimize" my system by shutting services off. Do you think these may have screwed me up?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well,

I was systematically going through and resetting to default all services and then rebooting after every third reset in an effort to narrow down the offending service. It took a while and the outcome is......I am still having the same problems. :upset:

Not sure what else to do but wipe it. If anyone has any other ideas, I am all ears.

Thanks for everyone's attention in this matter!

Shawn

·
Registered
40 Posts
Have you tried shutting down by going to run and typing "shutdown -f -t 0"

Alternatively create a new shortcut, target - "%windir%\system32\shutdown.exe -s -t 0"

:wave:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Pedromic,

Thanks for your assistance, unfortunately it didn't work. I think I am just going to reformat and start over. Thanks to everyone for your help in this, the expertise and volunteer spirit makes this my first stop.

Currently evaluating some Linux flavors via LiveCD to see where that takes me.

Thanks again,

Shawn

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.