Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Windows Installer

3K views 31 replies 5 participants last post by  brent.charlebois 
#1 ·
Hi people,

When I downloaded Firefox it got installed. Somehow a program claiming to be a Windows Installer repair kit appeared on the task bar . I did not download that, but it got installed. But when I try to install a download, I get an error message about cannot access Windows Installer.

Thanks

#4 · (Edited)
FF should only be downloaded directly from Mozilla.
See if it's (Windows Installer repair kit) in Programs & Features and delete it. Otherwise,
we recommend that you read this article…
http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f50/new-instructions-read-this-before-posting-for-malware-removal-help-305963.html
follow the instructions very carefully; then, post all the requested logs and information; as instructed, in the Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help section of the forum.
(Simply, click on the colored links to be re-directed.)

Please ensure that you create a new thread in the Virus/Trojan/Spyware HelpForum; not back here in this one.

When carrying out The Malware Removal Steps, if you cannot complete any of them for whatever reason, just continue on with the next one until they are all completed.
However,it is extremely important to make mention of the fact that you could not complete any of the steps in your post to the Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help Forum; where an Analyst will assist you with other workarounds.

Once done, please be patient, as the Security Team Analysts are usually very busy; one of them will answer your request as soon as they can.

#11 ·
Hi, the windows installer link from spunks post is worth a try however it very often does not fix the problem, there are two services at play here one is Msiserver the other TrustedInstaller, it is the latter that is crucial.

Go to start search and type cmd right click on the returned cmd.exe and select "run as administrator" at the command prompt copy and paste all below in red:-

sc config msiserver start= demand (press enter)
Net stop msiserver (press enter) Do not worry if it says the service is not started.
MSIExec /regserver (press enter)
regsvr32.exe /s %windir%system32msi.dll (press enter)
Net start msiserver (press enter)

See if this has fixed your problem if not we need to see the status of both services, from an elevated command prompt ( admin, as shown) copy and paste the following:-

echo > 0 & sc qc TrustedInstaller >> 0 & sc queryex TrustedInstaller>> 0 & sc qc Msiserver >> 0 & sc queryex Msiserver >> echo >> 0 & notepad 0 (press enter)

Please post the notepad outcome here.

#12 ·
Here is the results to the last commands you posted:

ECHO is on.
[SC] QueryServiceConfig SUCCESS

SERVICE_NAME: TrustedInstaller
TYPE : 10 WIN32_OWN_PROCESS
START_TYPE : 3 DEMAND_START
ERROR_CONTROL : 1 NORMAL
BINARY_PATH_NAME : C:\Windows\servicing\TrustedInstaller.exe
LOAD_ORDER_GROUP : ProfSvc_Group
TAG : 0
DISPLAY_NAME : Windows Modules Installer
DEPENDENCIES :
SERVICE_START_NAME : localSystem

SERVICE_NAME: TrustedInstaller
TYPE : 10 WIN32_OWN_PROCESS
STATE : 1 STOPPED
WIN32_EXIT_CODE : 0 (0x0)
SERVICE_EXIT_CODE : 0 (0x0)
CHECKPOINT : 0x0
WAIT_HINT : 0x0
[SC] OpenService FAILED 1060:

The specified service does not exist as an installed service.

#13 · (Edited)
Hi, well that indicates the service is missing, open a command prompt as admin (as shown) and copy paste all below in red:-

reg query "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\msiserver" > 0 & notepad 0 (press enter), please let us know the outcome.

EDIT:- did you try the download from Spunk's post?

#14 ·
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSEt\Services\msiserver
ImagePath REG_EXPAND_SZ c:\windows\system32\msiexec.exe /V
RequiredPrivileges REG_MULTI_SZ SeTcbPrivilege\0SeCreatePagefilePrivilege\0SeLockMemoryPrivilege\0SeIncreaseBasePriorityPrivilege\0SeCreatePermanentPrivilege\0SeAuditPrivilege\0SeSecurityPrivilege\0SeChangeNotifyPrivilege\0SeProfileSingleProcessPrivilege\0SeImpersonatePrivilege\0SeCreateGlobalPrivilege\0SeAssignPrimaryTokenPrivilege\0SeRestorePrivilege\0SeIncreaseQuotaPrivilege\0SeShutdownPrivilege\0SeTakeOwnershipPrivilege\0SeLoadDriverPrivilege\0SeBackupPrivilege

#15 ·
Here it is again:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSEt\Services\msiserver
ImagePath REG_EXPAND_SZ c:\windows\system32\msiexec.exe /V
RequiredPrivileges REG_MULTI_SZ SeTcbPrivilege\0SeCreatePagefilePrivilege\
0SeLockMemoryPrivilege\0SeIncreaseBasePriorityPrivilege\0SeCreatePermanentPrivilege\
0SeAuditPrivilege\0SeSecurityPrivilege\0SeChangeNotifyPrivilege\0SeProfileSingleProcessPrivilege\
0SeImpersonatePrivilege\0SeCreateGlobalPrivilege\0SeAssignPrimaryTokenPrivilege\
0SeRestorePrivilege\0SeIncreaseQuotaPrivilege\0SeShutdownPrivilege\0SeTakeOwnershipPrivilege\
0SeLoadDriverPrivilege\0SeBackupPrivilege

#16 ·
Hi, your response makes no sense, if you run the cmd as advised it will only return one outcome, how could you get two?

Typically the response should (for Vista) look like this, the default working registry entry:-

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\msiserver
DisplayName REG_SZ @%SystemRoot%\system32\msimsg.dll,-27
ImagePath REG_EXPAND_SZ %systemroot%\system32\msiexec /V
Description REG_SZ @%SystemRoot%\system32\msimsg.dll,-32
ObjectName REG_SZ LocalSystem
ErrorControl REG_DWORD 0x1
Start REG_DWORD 0x3
Type REG_DWORD 0x10
DependOnService REG_MULTI_SZ rpcss
ServiceSidType REG_DWORD 0x1
RequiredPrivileges REG_MULTI_SZ SeTcbPrivilege\0SeCreatePagefilePrivilege\0SeLockMemoryPrivilege\0SeIncreaseBasePriorityPrivilege\0SeCreatePermanentPrivilege\0SeAuditPrivilege\0SeSecurityPrivilege\0SeChangeNotifyPrivilege\0SeProfileSingleProcessPrivilege\0SeImpersonatePrivilege\0SeCreateGlobalPrivilege\0SeAssignPrimaryTokenPrivilege\0SeRestorePrivilege\0SeIncreaseQuotaPrivilege\0SeShutdownPrivilege\0SeTakeOwnershipPrivilege\0SeLoadDriverPrivilege\0SeBackupPrivilege
FailureActions REG_BINARY 840300000000000000000000030000001400000001000000C0D4010001000000E09304000000000000000000

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\msiserver\Enum
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\msiserver\Security

#18 ·
Hi, under "Format" in notepad check "word wrap", to prevent the long text.

Now I believe we have been down this path before (thanks Corday).

So lets try again, the registry entry you have for this service is corrupted and it will not work. We will restore your registry entry to the defaults (perfectly safe).

Run the attached .zip file it returns a binary file "installer.reg" open the zip and unzip the file double click on the returned installer.reg and when prompted agree to add to registry (ignore the warning message, just agree).

Restart your computer and try a download.

View attachment Installer.zip

#20 ·
Hi, that doesn't make sense since you were able to run the reg query command, that was from an elevated cmd prompt let's try that.

Run the zip file from my post again and this time save it to your desktop. Now open a cmd as admin (as shown) and change the prompt to the desktop, for example on my machine paul is the user,so at the prompt I type:-

cd c:\users\paul\desktop (Press enter, you substitute paul for your user name)

The prompt changes to desktop, then I type:- installer.reg... (press enter) agree to add to registry. Restart computer.

#24 ·
Hi, we could do with the full error message you receive when trying to add to the registry, what we are trying to do is repair the registry, without this you cannot download anything. I suspect it is a permissions issue. Since MS by default allow the created user access to the registry I can only assume someone or some util has changed this.

Follow these instructions carefully, make a restore point before beginning. Open regedit and highlight the HKEY_LOCAL_ MACHINE key then go to the main menu and select "Edit" then select "permissions" the permissions for HKEY_LOCAL_ MACHINE box will open, under Group or user names select the "ADD" tab.

The select users or groups box will open, under the box "enter the object names to select" type:- Everyone then select the "check names" tab, OK out of this box, you are now back at the Permissions for HKEY_LOCAL_ MACHINE and Everyone should appear, make sure it is highlighted then put a check in the box "Full Control" and "Read". OK out.

Highlight the HKEY_CURRENT_USER key and do the same for it as you have just done for the HKEY_LOCAL_ MACHINE.

Restart computer and try to add the registry file now, Let us know how you get on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.