Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OS=WinXP Pro, 64-bit.

Weeks after my CMOS battery died, followed by a long period of trouble-shooting, we finally got my system working properly, EXCEPT that I cannot install any applications (such as Photoshop CS4), or drivers, including those which had been working on my system before the problems.

I get "Error 1719. WinInstallerService failed" during attempt to install drivers for an HP multi-funtion printer and others.

I've downloaded the latest version of same from MS website; and online instructions, followed them, but no success. I keep getting that error message, even with programs which apparently have their own installers.

I've run chkdsk at startup, found and corrected 3 errors, but no change in basic problem.

Any help? I'm out of business without my app's.

Art Miller

· Registered
219 Posts
I would just reinstall windows xp, it will make your computer almost as fast as when it was new. I just need to finish what I'm doing than I can help you in more detail, or someone else will help you in the mean time.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You say "JUST reinstall WinXP 64, but that would mean losing all my installed programs, settings, drivers, etc. etc, right? Holy smoke! I've been trying to avoid doing that for weeks! Or, do you have some simple way fo reinstalling the OS without losing all that stuff?
Art

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I tried both of your suggestions, then re-tried to install Photoshop CS4. The process failed, jsut as it has everytime before. Microsoft, I now find, says "you cannot use WinInstaller with 64-bit XP!

What next?
How do I install programs under XP 64-bit?

Thanks, gentlemen. I hope someone will have a workable solution.

Art

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, both of you. I found, downloaded, and ran WindowsServer2003-KB942288-v4-x64.exe, bot got the following error message:"this is for a different platform".

Any other recommendations?

Art

· Registered
2,446 Posts
Are you certain you're on XP Pro 64-bit? Right-click My Computer and pick properties. It should say "x64 edition". If not you're on 32-bit Windows. In that case get WindowsXP-KB942288-v3-x86.exe instead. BTW having a 64-bit processor doesn't make your Windows 64-bit. You have to have the right version of the OS too.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've now downloaded and will read, as you suggest, CCT.

Meanwhile, I've learned elsewhere that "Windows XP Pro 64-bit" and Windows XP Pro x64" are NOT the same. My system employs 2 dual-core AMD Opteron CPUs, so I understand now that I shoulb only be calling my OS "Win XP x64, right?

Sorry if that was confusing anyone: you can imagine how it might confuse ME!

Art

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.