Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Microsoft MVP, Microsoft Support Visiting Expert,
8,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Microsoft will give those who tested the next version of Windows through the Windows Insider program a free upgrade path to Windows 10 when the OS is released to manufacturing, meaning you will be able to upgrade to the final RTM version without the need of a clean install.
Update: In light of the confusion caused by the ambiguity of some of Microsoft's announcements, we have posted a new article explaining Windows 10's free upgrade offer.
When this news was first revealed by Microsoft's Gabriel Aul through Twitter yesterday, there was a bit of confusion as to how the upgrade would work, with some people speculating that the free upgrade meant a free Windows 10 license, however that is not the case.
Windows Insiders get free upgrade path to Windows 10 - TechSpot

·
Registered
259 Posts
Looks like they messed this up:

"Windows 10 for current users of Windows 7, Windows 8, 8.1"

From what I know (and what they wrote), only owners of Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1 will be able to get the free upgrade. Owners of Windows 8 and Windows Phones 8 will have to upgrade to 8.1 to have access to that free upgrade (anyway, they can upgrade to 8.1 for free from 8).

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Looks like they messed this up:

"Windows 10 for current users of Windows 7, Windows 8, 8.1"

From what I know (and what they wrote), only owners of Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1 will be able to get the free upgrade. Owners of Windows 8 and Windows Phones 8 will have to upgrade to 8.1 to have access to that free upgrade (anyway, they can upgrade to 8.1 for free from 8).
All Microsoft articles have clearly stated it is available to users of all the listed Operating Systems.
Perhaps you are confusing the upgrade path that does not require a clean install, and instead will be an insitu upgrade.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Yes my bad, owners of Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 will can upgrade directly, while Windows 8 users will have to do a "clean installation". Also, read the article under the subtitle I quoted. They mention Windows 8 in it, but in the article, doesn't say anything about 8, only 7 and 8.1.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.