Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I've been searching for a solution to my problem for a long time, and would be much obliged if somebody could help me figure this out.

I have a 200GB SATA HD currently installed on my computer. Windows recognizes the drive and can read/write to it without and problem (Windows is actually installed on this HD). The trouble is that it insists I only have about 2 GB of space left, when in fact I have only occupied about 120GB of the available space. I am aware that HD manufacturers use 1000 MB = 1 GB instead of 1024, but that is not nearly enough to account for this huge discrepancy. I have looked for hidden and system files, and the space is still unaccounted for. I have tried various utilities to see how disk usage is distributed, and each of them have reported an empty, physically untouched space that corresponds to the expected size of free space. I have checked for NTFS alternate filestreams, and found nothing. My BIOS is updated and should recognize large HDs. In short, I have absolutely no idea why Windows will not allow me to use my free HD space.

If anybody could suggest any possible sources of error or fixes, I'd appreciate it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I am running SP2. When I first formatted and partitioned the drive, I was running a clean install of Windows though. I've checked the 48-bit LBA thing and even just edited my registry to try it out, with absolutely no effect. My atapi.sys is also a valid version. Windows reports it having the expected partition size.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Problem found. It turns out a good portion of the disk has bad blocks, meaning nothing short of a low-level format will fix it. Since I have stuff on there I don't quite want to lose, I guess I'll just have to live with it until I get an new HD...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.