Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having problems with a brand new 500 gb. Hitachi HD I've just bought. The problems don't seem to be related to a BIOS or hardware issue, but my OS (Win 2k).

I have an Asus P4P800-E Deluxe motherboard, BIOS revision 1006, (dated 12/06/04), with 7 IDE devices on it. Four of the IDE devices are plugged into the onboard IDE controller (120g Maxtor as primary master-boot, 500g. Hitachi as primary slave, Benq 1620 DVD/RW as secondary master, LG CD/RW as secondary slave). I then have a Promise Ultra 100 TX2 PCI IDE controller card in one of the PCI slots with three devices connected (Maxtor 200 g. on primary master, another 200g. Maxtor as primary slave, and a Toshiba SDM-1912 DVD-ROM on secondary master.)

I have no SATA devices.

Up until I received the Hitachi last week, I had an old 30g. Maxtor in the place of the Hitachi. The BIOS in the MB seems to be recognizing the new HD OK. I went to Hitachi's website to see what they reccomended for installation. They said to use the "Disk Management" utility in Windows to partition and format the new drive. I did that, the drive formatted OK and I was able to store all of the avi files I had on the two 200 g. Maxtors, which had nearly filled them up. I did not divide the drive up, but kept it as one big 500g. partition.

However, I've been having some problems with my Win2K installation getting shaky. After having everything backed up on the 500g. and 200g. drives, I reformatted my 120g. boot drive and reinstalled Windows. Then the trouble started. Windows did not see the 500 gig drive as 500 gigs. It saw the drive as about 131 g. plus the rest unformatted.

However, the two 200g. drives on the Promise Controller, it saw those fine, once I installed the driver for the Promise IDE card. (After Windows installs, then I have to seperately install the driver for the Promise IDE card, apparently it is not on the Windows CD.) I then ran Service Pack 4 for Windows 2K.

I thought perhaps it had something to do with the 48 bit LBA that needed to be enabled on Windows, so I ran Maxtor's "big drive enabler". After rebooting, Windows still saw the Hitachi as divided into a 130 g. partition and the rest raw. It saw none of the drive as being NTFS formatted though, so I could not access anything on the drive.

With Win2K not having 48 bit LBA enabled at first, could it have possibly rewritten something on the drive, and trashed the partition? (I know that a NTFS drive doesn't have a FAT like a DOS drive does.) I've accepted the fact that everything on the drive is gone, but I don't want to lose whatever I put on the drive again if someday I have to reinstall or upgrade Windows.

As I said, the two 200g. drives on the Promise Controller were fine, and it has a BIOS from early 2003!

(The reason for all the drive space is that I do a lot of transferring VHS videos to DVD, recording the avi files to my hard drive, editing the sound with Sound Forge, then encoding them with TMPGEnc 3.0 Express to MPEG-2 files and authoring them to DVD.)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Error checker won't run, says it cannot run on this type of drive. Shows the drive as 0 bytes.

I had originally formatted it as NTFS, doesn't show that's it's formatted as anything now. Since the OS doesn't think it's formatted, I can't do anything with it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.