Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have a really challenging problem here and I'm so frustrated with it that I'd love some help!

Problem:
Running windows 7 and the computer keeps hanging, but I don't mean freezing. The window that I'm on will fade and the blue circle will come up as if explorer is having problems accessing something, then it will become unstuck and be fine again for a minute or two. This is much worse if in a game or another program.

In eventvwr I can see it's giving lots of errors saying writing to files is taking abnormally long. Note that it's managing to do it but taking ages, hence then hanging rather than the freezing or crashing.

Fixes tried:
I thought of course that it was a hard drive problem so I've tried different sata cables and even a freshly formatted different hdd but I'm still getting the same problem.

Should I be thinking about a new motherboard? This was a mobo/ram/cpu bundle from overclockers just back in March so I'm hoping it's not a hardware problem at all but it's looking more likely.

I've also ran Samsung's hdd utility which found nothing on the first pass but then said there was a problem on the second, but that was only because the computer hung again during the test, not because there's errors on the drive.

I did have this problem a wee while back but not as bad. I re-seated the sata cable and it died down after that but this time it's worse and it's not going away!

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated as I'm at my wit's end with this!!

I'm running an i5, 4Gb matched Z3 PC3 10666 ram, Asus mobo and a 750w PSU with a GTX 460 gfx card.

Many thanks for any replies.

Ian

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm not sure about revision 3 chipset, in the manual it only states it's Intel H67 Express Chipset. I'll have a google about regarding that. Also, I'm using a blue sata port as that's 3gb/s I think which is what my drive is.

When I updated the bios it actually did seem to help a bit but it was still hanging, but now it's back to the way it was before :/

It's not freezing in the normal sense, it's like it's taking too long to write to the disk but it always gets there, resulting in long pauses and so isn't very useable :(

Appreciate you helping out with this btw!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ah very interesting. So I've downloaded CPU-Z and it's showing the motherboard as B2. So does this mean that when I bought the bundle from Overclockers in March they sold me a board that should have been recalled? I'm sure it's an oversight as they are very reputable but sata instability does fit the bill here.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow I can't believe how much help you've been my friend, much appreciated. I'm not sure how long it would have taken me to figure this out, if at all. Thanks so much!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Will do. I've emailed Asus and OCUK this morning so will see what they say next week and let you guys know in case anyone else is having a similar problem.

Cheers
Ian :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
just an update to say that OCUK have agreed to swap the motherboard for me without any hassle so that's a relief! Once again thanks to Wrench for putting me on to this, saved me some much needed cash and lots of hassle :))

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
5,566 Posts
just an update to say that OCUK have agreed to swap the motherboard for me without any hassle so that's a relief! Once again thanks to Wrench for putting me on to this, saved me some much needed cash and lots of hassle :))

Cheers!

Is this resolved?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yep they are picking the whole bundle back up today and will swap out the motherboard and send it back. I don't forsee any more problems but if I have any I'll report back. Will also add a note when I get it back all working :)) Hopefully it wont take too long as I'm on my work mac until then!

Cheers guys
Ian

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.