Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(sorry for the long post, but it's all relevant to the problem)

Okay, here's the deal: Two nights ago i was incredibly bored and I
downloaded an old DOS VGA version of The Oregon Trail from the-underdogs. I used VDMsound to run it, and everything seemed to work alright until i got sick of the game and tried to quit. It locked up, i used ctrl-alt-del a few times, got impatient and stupidly switched off the computer just as i was being dumped back to windows. When i turned the computer back on, i was given the "safe mode" prompt, so i chose to start in safe mode. It then showed that list of system files(?) it was loading until it gets to "d347bus.sys" and asks if i want to press escape to skip loading it. Regardless of whether i press esc or not, it moves on to "SPTD.sys" and asks the same question. After i press escape (or not), i get a black screen, then the computer restarts again back to the safe mode prompt. If i try to "start windows normally" i get to the Windows XP loading screen, the progress bar moves a bit then the whole thing restarts again.

Later, i tried repeatedly pressing F8 at startup and accessed a different safe mode menu with more options. When i chose to start windows normally, it gave me the option to start the Recovery Console, so i did. However, all i got was a blue screen with the following error messages:

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

*** STOP:0x000000ED (0x86331430, 0xc0000006, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

I am currently writing this from my work computer, as my personal PC is now totally incapacitated. I googled these "d347bus.sys" and "SPTD.sys" files and determined that they have something to do with Daemon tools, which was running at the time of the original problem but i wasn't using any programs that were related to the image that was currently mounted. So, any ideas?

·
Registered
6,574 Posts
Hi disinfestator, welcome to TSF.

Do you have the Windows XP CD?

Place the CD in the CD-Rom and reboot the PC, to boot off the XP CD.
XP will present a screen for installing or setting up Windows XP. Choose 'R' for Recovery Console.

The Recovery Console Command Prompt will load. Type the following:

chkdsk /r
allow Check Disk to complete.
next
fixboot
next
fixmbr

Remove the XP CD and reboot.

Does Windows load?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the response, but i'm about 95% sure that I don't have a Windows XP CD, since my computer came pre-installed with it and whatnot. If i know someone else that has an XP cd, could i borrow it from them and use it? And if i can't find a cd to borrow, what are my other options?

EDIT: I have XP Media Center Edition on my computer, so will any XP CD work regardless of the version or do i need the specific Media Center disc?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Place the CD in the CD-Rom and reboot the PC, to boot off the XP CD.
XP will present a screen for installing or setting up Windows XP. Choose 'R' for Recovery Console.

The Recovery Console Command Prompt will load. Type the following:

chkdsk /r
allow Check Disk to complete.
next
fixboot
next
fixmbr

Remove the XP CD and reboot.

Does Windows load?
I tried this and it didn't make any difference. I used a Windows XP Professional CD that i borrowed from a coworker, but my installed OS is Media Center Edition. Could this be why it didn't work?

While in the recovery console, i tried using dir on several directories and found that my config.sys and autoexec.bat files were 0 bytes in size. Does this mean that they are damaged or missing?

At this point, i'm not too worried if i lose all my files from reformatting or whatever, but it would be nice to try and save some of them. I read something on another forum about booting with a Linux cd then using Linux to transfer my files over to a external hard drive. How would i go about this, and would it even work in my case?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.