Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Windows failed to start, startup repair cannot repair this computer, safe mode cannot load, chkdsk freezes, sfc scan cannot perform the requested operation

Hi, I cannot start my Windows 7 at all. With power on, the system tries to load up but: ' windows failed to start.A recent hardware or software change might be the cause'. Trying to open safe mode or last good configuration doesn't work, it goes automatically to startup repair but after about an hour trying it says ' Windows 7 Startup Repair Cannot Repair This Computer ' (tried a few times). After another reboot with a windows 7 repair disk in the drive I managed to open the recovery manager from the DVD instead of the HDD and tried all the options - system recovery does not work, i have no previous images of the system, I ran a scan on the memory - it was all clear but still windows not starting. Then I did CHKDSK and it froze at 11% on stage 4 of 5, that happened a couple of times so I decided to run an sfc scannow but another error: 'Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation'. So I'm totally stuck and don't know where to go next, I've got no windows installation disk, only repair disk. Any ideas would be much appreciated!

·
Decessit
68,881 Posts
Hi and welcome to TSF what is the make and model of the computer,is just a repair disc or is it a recovery disc does your machine have a recovery partition,have you tried removing and reseating the ram or running any diagnostic test like memtest 86 + or seatools for dos

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, thanks for the answer. It is a Lenovo G560, I'm fixing it for a friend. The disc is a recovery disc I made off my laptop. It doesn't have a recovery partition. I will try reseating the ram though i've never done it before so hope i don't mess it up even more. Are the diagnostic tests you suggest ok for a laptop? i read it's for a x86 architecture but I'm not sure what that means?

·
Decessit
68,881 Posts
Hi this should help you
How to Install Laptop Memory - YouTube
x 86 is also called a 32 bit system as opposed to a 64 bit basically the operating system will be one of the 2 and for most people it means the difference of being able to run 3gb of ram or 4 or more x86 = 3gb maximum and yes the diagnostics are safe to use for testing

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.