Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am using windows vista 32 bit on my HP laptop and recently I installed a new version of norton 360 as the old one had expired and then I was just clearing my HDD and I deleted a few movies files but since then the explore is using 60-100% CPU and at many times it also freezes so I end the process and restart it from task-manager. But ever since then even when I start my laptop the CPU shows min60% which used to be like 5-6% normally. I tried to do a registry cleaner tool but am afraid i might do something wrong. Please can anyone help regarding this.

·
Networking Team |Tech
4,117 Posts
Hi hem,

I believe the problem could be related to the program you installed, Norton 360. Norton is definitely a system resource hogger. Open up the task manager and on the botton left, check "Show all processes from all users". Then on the top portion of the task manager click on "CPU" and see what's taking up a lot of processes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Kenny thanks for your your advice. I have only one user on my laptop that's me as administrator and the second one is the default guest user.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am at work at the moment but I am sure because I had to end explorer process from task manager and restart it that the maximum CPU usage is by explorer and the next one is system idle process.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks DBCooper for helping as I mentioned in my previous reply the two main processes taking up CPU are explorer and below it system idle process

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks hwatt for the advice. A friend also recommended similar solution he told me to uninstall norton anti virus using norton removal utility and then reinstall it again he had a similar problem once and this solved it. So I will install norton first by the utility and then perform the checks as suggested by you and see if it solves the problem

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I removed and reinstalled norton antivirus but that did not change anything. The CPU is still on same level 60-100% and another thing I noticed is that while I was trying to delete a video file it would not delete and after much beating here and there and after a few restarts I could delete it

·
ROG Enthusiast
1,497 Posts
I suggest booting in 'Safe mode' with norton fully uninstalled.

Restart your computer and boot into Safe Mode by tapping the F8 key repeatedly until a menu shows up (and choose Safe Mode with Networking from the list). In some systems, this may be the F5 key, so try that if F8 doesn't work. Login on your usual account.

Download malwarebytes
Install it
Boot into safe mode
Run a full scan (may take an hour or two) to check if you have picked anything nasty up.

Post back your findings :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you everybody for your feedbacks. I tried all the options you recommended but it's no use so now I am restoring my laptop to factory setting. I have already a complete backup of my files so I thought it better to start completely on a new board. I know it will be another headache to reinstall other applications but i feel it's an easier way out

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.