Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all and thanks in advance for any assistance you can offer. I am running XP-SP2 on an AMD Athlon XP 2200+. After copying a bunch of files from my G: drive to my E: drive, I am having problems directly opening the E: drive from Windows Explorer(WE). If I open WE and click on the E: drive in the left panel, I get the hourglass and after a while the banner says WE is not responding. I then kill the process and the screen blinks and then comes back to the desktop. However, if I open WE and click on My Computer in the left panel, and then click on the E: drive in the right panel, everything works fine.

end/Schmersa

·
Registered
380 Posts
File transfer or spyware the culprit

schmersa-
For what ever reason- a glitch has occured directly after you transfered the files from one drive to another. This may or may not be the direct cause of the problem.
You could do a system restore to a point prior to the transfer. How did you transfer the files in the first place? Drag and drop? Send to? And what type of files were they? Any system files?
This should get you to a point where WE works. Then I would suggest a through cleaning: Shut of system restore, delete temp files and run spyware programs as well as do a system scan with your antivirus. Most here recommed the following spyware and cleaners.
Spyblaster
Spybot Search and Destroy
Ad-aware
Clean up
CW Schredder

and a good antivirus program such as AVG or AVAST. All of the programs listed are free and concidered excellent programs. (Forgive me if you already know about them).

While the problem may have occured due to the file transfer- this type of problem is also caused by virus's and/or spyware. Please write back and let us know the answers to the above questions as well as your success with the suggestion above.

Andy

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Windows Explorer Not Responding 2

Andy,

Thank for for the quick view of my post. I apologize for not providing more info. I used drag/drop to copy the file from G: to E:. Basically, I copied my data files (doc, xls, ppt, pdf, etc) to a drive with more space. No system files were copied. I routinely use Ad-Aware, Spyblaster, Spybot S&D, CC-Cleaner, and the Microsoft Beta spyware package. I also have ZA free firewall, Norton Systemworks(except AV) and Trend Micro PC-Cillin Internet Security package. This includes AV as well as network controland Security. I also am using a Netgear Firewall/Router. I regularly run scans and have not had a virus or trojan on my machine in well over a year. The Spybot S&D, Microsoft antispyware beta and the PC-Cillin Internet Security all have resident portions running. I also have a Clean XP routine from Fred Langa that daily "cleans" the system of temp files and extraneous items.

It is very strange that this only occurs on on of thepartitions. I have a WD Caviar 120gb drive partitioned into 3 partitions (C:,E:, and G:); and a Maxtor 250gb drive with 3 partitions (D:, F:, H:). I do not have a restore point to go back to. Do you think perhaps it would help to transfer all the files from E: to another partition; delete the partition, then re-create it?

Thanks again for your input.

end/Schmersa

·
Registered
380 Posts
schmersa,
Re-partitioning is a little radical right now as there are other things to check
first. With all your running- it is doubtful that it is a virus/trojan or spyware.

Did you try putting in the system disc and run sfc /scannow from the run command? It seems that one portion of a process is corrupt. Try the above and if that doesn't work I would do a disc scan to see if any sectors are damaged/corrupt. Lastly- (and if those don't work)- download the HD utility program from WD and run it. It will also identify any problems with the HD.

**One other thing- try disabling ZA and see if you are able to access it via
windows explorer.

Andy

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Problem Still remains

Andy,

I ran sfc /scannow, Norton Disk Doctor, and diasabled ZA - but the problem remains. Can you think of anything else I could try?

Thanks,

end/Schmersa

·
Registered
30 Posts
have you tryed in safemode? a very good idea to because generaly eliminates most 3rd part software from the equation, if it does work fine in safemode then you may want to disable startup files.
start > run > msconfig > OK > startup (top right [TAB]) > disable all > apply > close > restart now > restarts > when loading back up will say you have used the ms configuration utility > click dont display message again then click OK > and see if that solved it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
WinXP - Windows Explorer Not Responding

Shocker-Z,

Thanks for the suggestion about Safe Mode. I tried it, but the problem remains. Once I use My Computer to open the E: drive, I can then click in the left-pane of Windows Explorer (WE) to access it. However, if I open WE and immediately click of\n the E: drive in the left pane, it eventually is "not responding" and I must use Task Manager to kill it. It then blinks and re-draws the desktop.

end/Schmersa

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.