Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if this has been asked before but I searched and couldn't find anything. After performing some Windows XP updates recently I've discovered that Windows Explorer won't remember the settings from a previous session. The window opens up minimized, the folders sometimes have the large icons rather than the Details that I prefer. I've gone through the various view settings and tried different things and nothing seems to work. I'm sure there is some simple thing that I am overlooking but I've gone through the settings again and again. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Fazhoul

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Fazhoul,

•Open a folder (any)
•Config the folder just the way you want it to be.
•Click "Tools" > "Folder Options" > "View" tab
•Click "Apply to All Folders" > click "yes"
•On the "Advanced settings" windows, scroll down and
clear the "Remember each folder's view settings" check box.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
breakerfall said:
Fazhoul,

•Open a folder (any)
•Config the folder just the way you want it to be.
•Click "Tools" > "Folder Options" > "View" tab
•Click "Apply to All Folders" > click "yes"
•On the "Advanced settings" windows, scroll down and
clear the "Remember each folder's view settings" check box.

Hope that helps.
I've done that over and over and it doesn't seem to work. And now it's not just WE doing this. All of my programs are opening up minimized. It's getting a little annoying.

·
Registered
165 Posts
what kind of video-card are you using, are the drivers updated ??

I had a kind of similar problems but I cannot help you if I don't know what video card you're using and/if you have downloaded the latest updates of Microsoft and Video-card ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1) I've run virus scan. I do it every week. I've run Ad-Aware. I do that every week too.

2) I thought that I had the latest drivers for my video card but I will double check just to be sure. Who knows, maybe I need to get a new video card. :)

·
ID10T Circuit replacement
1,038 Posts
Have you gone through policy settings? (I don't know off the top of my head if XP home has them) Go to Control Panel then administrative tools and see if any of the local policies are defined.

Also, are you listed as an Administrator on the machine?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
idtent said:
Have you gone through policy settings? (I don't know off the top of my head if XP home has them) Go to Control Panel then administrative tools and see if any of the local policies are defined.

Also, are you listed as an Administrator on the machine?
I'm running XP pro so the home version isn't a factor. I am the only account on the computer and it is set up as Administrator. I will check the policies tonight when I get home.

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
There is something wrong. The instructions that breakerfall IDed are the correct ones.

Perhaps a repair process is in order, as it sounds like something is not talking to something else.

I did some searching, but there isn't anything else that I can find.

Trojans can do this kind of thing, but Adaware is pretty reliable.

If you want to do a Hijack log before you do a repair, let us know, and we'll give you the steps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What exactly is a "Hijack Log". And what should I repair and how? Sorry if I seem stupid about things.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.