Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This just started happening a week or two ago and it's a real pain!

If I put a DVD or CD into the corresponding drive on my computer and use Windows Explorer to display the contents, it does so just fine, as it's supposed to.

BUT, if I take that disc out and put another one in to look at its contents, the contents of the PREVIOUS disc will still be displayed! I've bailed out of Explorer, re-opened it, and tried again, but no luck-it will still show the contents of the previous disc.

What's the deal here? Is there a simple fix or is it time to find a tall building and a good time at which to push the machine off the top?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
If autorun is turned off for the optical drive, this will happen. Also, make sure you are running the latest updates from MS (including the latest service pack, etc.). Download the autoplay repair wizard from MS and run it to fix autorun problems.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Balaji--

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate your time.

I do in fact have the latest updates from MS installed, so that's not an issue.

I do have autorun turned off--but why should this make a difference? I have had it turned off since I bought this computer a couple of years ago, since I do not like the autorun feature, and it has been working fine until recently.

BG

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I also have autorun turned off and this always seems to lead to the problem of explorer not being able to see the new contents when a CD is changed in the drive. One alternative is to turn on autorun. Another is to reboot after inserting each new CD. The third (which I find most convenient) is to make an image of the CD using imgburn on my hard drive, then I can mount it using daemon tools. Even though explorer may not show the latest contents of the CD, the image created always reflects the correct contents, so I have been using this workaround successfully for the last several years.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hi, I havn't tested this but I think I would try switching on autorun and going to the drive properties/autoplay tab and selecting take no action for everything in the dropdown list, If you try it and it works let me know

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Even if you do that, if there is an autorun.inf file on the CD it will continue to execute whatever that file tells it to execute regardless of whether you have asked it to take no action in response to various types of files on the CD. That is what makes autorun so dangerous (and in my opinion, stupid). Turning off autorun for every single drive is pretty much the first thing I do when I set up any computer after buying it.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Interesting find. I will take a close look at it. If it actually works, I will have to decide whether to go with that registry hack and turn autorun on or stick with what I have right now. Thank you very much.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I never knew so much about the autorun feature before!

Coincidentally, another issue came up which I needed to seek help to resolve using a paid service. While not related, it became apparent during the resoultion of that issue that Microsoft has indeed not done a thorough job in building operating systems. There are certain flaws, like this autorun nonsense, and others, that validate my contention that "If you can avoid anything from Microsoft, you'll be better off."

Having said that, I still use a lot of their stuff simply because it's so predominant. Linux has a LOOONG way to go before it becomes a serious factor in general computing.

As for the issue at hand, here what I've decided: I have two DVD read/write external drives hooked up to my computer. If i put a disc into either one, remove it, and insert another disc, the listing of contents works properly (changes to what it really is on the next disc) and there is no hassle. I will simply get used to using those drives for most of the work which requires discs and bypass the internal one except to play music or such.

Thanks to those who responded here.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
How about just pressing F5 to refresh the contents of the window? I have autorun off too, and I press F5 all the time to detect CD's.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I guess it is supposed to work that way, but I have never been able to refresh the contents of the explorer window by pressing F5 or choosing view->refresh. The problem was annoying at first and I did some research, but once I found my workaround, it faded in importance and I haven't gone back to figure out how to get explorer to refresh.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.