Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i am new at this, so bear with me lol :wave:

We have just moved our XP computer into the living room, and connected it to a 58kb dial-up connection. We installed AVG 8 and everything was running fine

Now we've installed Windows Live OneCare Family safety on the machine so we can monitor my borther and sisters internet usage.

Now, the computer runs extremely slowely, Windows Explorer continually crashes, meaning we have great difficulty opening My Documents, and My Computer or anything that requires Explorer to open

As well as this, now the internet is majorly slow... even for bloomin dial-up, we used to get at least 9kbps, but now its shot down to between 2.5 and 1.5 kbps

AVG is now continuously scanning... even outside of scheduled scans, and constantly wants to update :S

And finally, i have now noticed that small files i dont use very frequently have begun to dissapear from the system!!! music files, images, word docs etc.

We have tried defragging it, scandisk, using AdAware SE Personal 2005, AVG Scans, and they all come up with negligeable results.

As well as this, now the pc wont install files for Trend Micro Online scans to run... so we cant even work it out that way :S

I have a suspicion this could be something to do with OneCare, or Multiple Viruses in the system that have somehow hidden themselves from AVG

PLEASE PLEASE HELP!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrm... no lol
how do i do that?
as i said, i'm new and i have only made this post!!! do i need to download some stuff first? and if so, where from?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OKay, the pc has gotten worse, applications aren't starting up properly on bootup i.e. AVG 8 and MSN OneCare arent loading in the icon tray!!!

·
Registered
108 Posts
ok the computer is slow and programs misbehave , and files dis apear , first know thy enemy. there for lets find the cause ,

Hijackthis is a program easely obtained by ( as with most things ) going to a central search point for the internet called a searchengine for example google ( a nice hint to know just type google then hold down ctrl and press enter along side it and notice that www. and the .com apear right away it just makes typing a bit easyer )

if you have reached google there is a search bar fil in hijackthis and klick on search.
then browse trough the sights ( note you can mostly rightklick on any link and select open in new window if you want to brows a bit quicker )

also possible is : press the windows button ( usually found between the buttons alt and ctrl on left side of spacebar.
hold down that button while you press on the " R " button notice a dialogbox pops up and you can type in that . type "msconfig" and press enter
a other dialogbox pops up goto the tab startup items , and klik the button disable all ( * NOTE wireless connection fi you have a wireless connection disable all but the tool that installs with the wireless card or dongel or wich ever. ) and extra note this can also be enabled in the same fasion .

virus could be , but this is where it get verry complicated , but if you bare with me and accept that i will suppass your knowhow ( if i do so just swear at me and tell me what you dont understand and ill explain it best i can ( mind you keep the swearing to fruit its commonly allowed hihi ) )

best thing you should do is copy this in the browser adress bar ( do this at a friends house with internet and with a cd burner and knowhow to actually use the cd burner )
http://projects.securitywonks.net/projects/details.php?file=32
if that doesnt work
http://download.winboard.org/details.php?file=89

download this and * note do NOT burn the iso directly to the cd
a ISO file ( what is waht you download is a picture of a cd total contens and the burn settings wich should be used all stuffed in one file named someting.iso )
now what you need to do is find a burner ( for example nero burning rom ) can open these files read them and then percisely burn the cd as it should , in that program look for copy a cd and change the source from CD to source image , or burn a image .
or in some occasions dubbel klicking on the *.iso file is sufice.

if you have the cd burned test it at the friends house right away
just enter it in system again and ask if you may reboot his system
reboot the system and notice that now it automaticly starts the cd
choose the second option in the menu that apears and notice that a differant windows is started " Slower then normal due to slowness of cdrom players these days "
in that special cdrom version of windows xp you can run virus scanners and load up all LAN networks that i can think off , modem drivers are rare , you can try . but best thing to do in that regard is maybe take the PC with you to a friends house and connect to internet trough a network cable wich is faster and more common these days ,

then with the cd version of windows , virus scanner installed and updated . let it do a sweep of the HDD's , the cd is not infected , and the HDD nothing is loaded making the virus easyer to remove.

then afterwards if everything is kicked off that shouldnt be there. just boot the system and if there is a error please let me know ill try to check as mutch as possible.

hope this helps

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.