Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm running Windows XP Pro, and for some reason, my machine doesn't turn itself off when I shut it down.. It goes to the "Windows is now logging off" screen, then freezes. Then, I manually have to turn it off.. Also, if i want to restart, restarting doesn't work, because it does the same thing; freezes at that same screen.. Any help on how to fix this?

·
Premium Member
8,701 Posts
Did you add a new program or software before this started? If you did remove it and see if it works, if not just do a System Restore to an earlier date when it worked.

·
Banned
102 Posts
Hi Austinfan316,

You can check out this link:

http://aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.php

SHUTDOWN HANGS ON “SAVING YOUR SETTINGS”

During shutdown or reboot, Win XP may hang (stop responding) at the “saving your settings” screen. During such a hang, there is no response to Ctrl+Alt+Del; the mouse may or may not work. The problem may be intermittent.

This is a known bug in Windows XP, for which Microsoft has a supported fix. To learn how to get this patch, see MSKB 307274, “Windows XP Stops Responding (Hangs) During Windows Shutdown.” The necessary patch is included in Windows XP Service Pack 1, and also is now available on the Windows Update site under “Recommended Updates” for Win XP Professional, titled “Restarting Windows XP.” However, to find it, you may need to reconfigure how Windows Update appears for you, by enabling the Windows Update Catalog as follows: At the Windows Update page, click Personalize Windows Update at the left, and then Enable the Windows Update Catalog. Save your settings. This adds the Windows Update Catalog link in the left box. Click this link, then click Find updates for Microsoft Windows systems. Pick Windows XP in the drop-down list, click Search, take Recommended Updates, and find the “Restarting Windows XP” patch which references Q307274.

As a workaround, newsgroup correspondent “lou” resolved this problem by dismantling the Windows XP logon Welcome screen. In the Control Panel, click User Accounts, then click “Change the way users log on or off.” Uncheck the box that says “Use the Welcome screen.” This removes the initial logon screen with individual icons for each user and, instead, pops up the classic logon prompt that requires each user to type a user name and password.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your suggestions! I haven't gotten around to messing around with it, but, I think that's the same problem.. With the second suggestion, I'm okay on starting up, and I don't use passwords anyways, so, the one click to get onto windows is fine with me. :)

As for the adding of a program that has given me the problem, I would imagine that it could have been that.. I haven't really tried to do anything about it, and it's been like this for about a year and a half.. It's just I didn't know where to ask, and it finally got on my nerves, and I just found out there was a message board full of friendly, helpful people that could maybe help, so I thought I'd ask here! It was doing it before I upgraded to this new 60gb harddrive, then, after I put all of my regular programs that I use, it started to do it again.. So, that's probably what might have started it..

But, ya, ibrokeit, that sounds like it should work.. I'll mess around with it after I get home from work tonight.. Thanks a bunch, guys!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.