Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Would I be best off replacing the card with the same 9800GT? Do they even make them anymore?

Whats the modern equivalent? I was very happy with it so I want a graphics card that gives similar performance. I'll have to order it....which one should I go for? How much should it cost roughly?

Thanks.

Just out of interest...if I was to buy the GT430, is my PSU ok to run that?

What are the major differences I will notice between its performance and that of the 9800GT? Just more sluggish gameplay? Are there any drawbacks non-gaming related?

·
Registered
513 Posts
Your current PSU is not good for anything except onboard vga. Continue to use that PSU and you will, eventually, fry up all the other hardware, one by one.

·
TSF Emeritus
26,228 Posts
The GT430 will give lower framerates when playing games. For general desktop work and games that are not too demanding, it should be ok though. See here for a comparison: GeForce 9800 GT 1GB vs GeForce GT 430 1GB – Performance Comparison Benchmarks @ Hardware Compare

I wouldn't trust your current PSU with a new graphics card. It's 4 years old, so has already lasted longer than the manufacturer expected. (Good quality PSUs come with a 3-5 year warranty, lower quality units only give 1 year)

If you're happy with the 9800GT's performance and you can find another one still available for sale, it's a great card that can handle most current games at decent settings. Otherwise, something like the HD5770 is reasonably priced and will out-perform your current card.

What's your budget for the new card and PSU, and what country are you in?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Ok so whatever happens I'm gonna need a new PSU even though my computer guy insists my one is fine. Now that I think about it I dont think its 4 years old...I'm pretty sure its a replacement from a coupla years back. Anyway I dont wanna risk damaging any more components cuz of the PSU so I'll get a 600W unit.

Now I need to go in there tomorrow and figure out which card I can order. I'm in Vietnam so the choices are limited.

My budget is flexible..so I just want one thats comparable with the 9800GT. I'll check the order list for the Radeon card you mentioned.

Other than that is there a modern nvidia card thats equivalent to the 9800GT? I'm told the 9800GT cannot be ordered so no chance of getting that again.

I guess this is all gonna run me about 2-300 dollars. dammit.

·
TSF Emeritus
26,228 Posts
If you want to go for an nvidia card, the GeForce GT250 gives the same performance level as the 9800GT, or the GTX260 is slightly faster.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
I ended up going for a a quick fix.

Same PSU and replaced the GPU with the GT430.

2 days later, my hard disk has started malfunctioning. Cyclic redundency errors.

[sigh]

Will format and reinstall windows xp.

·
Global Moderator
Using Google to solve problems
43,131 Posts
my hard disk has started malfunctioning. Cyclic redundency errors.
CRC errors are caused by either a miss communication with the computer (Bad Data cable, not enough power) or more likely, bad sectors on the HDD.
When formatting the drive, do a Full Format (Not a Quick) and/or tests with HDD Diagnostic tool.

·
Global Moderator
Using Google to solve problems
43,131 Posts
2 hours in.....halfway done.....
This is not a good sign. This means there are a lot of Bad Sectors. This may fix it to be useable for a while but I wouldn't use it as a boot drive.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Ok so whatever happens I'm gonna need a new PSU even though my computer guy insists my one is fine
but does your PC guy know what GPU you are using or did he just test the PSU to see if it worked?

What resulted of your ChkDsk? Dd it show any bad sectors?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
but does your PC guy know what GPU you are using or did he just test the PSU to see if it worked?
Oh he had my whole computer in his shop.

You gotto remember though this is vietnam. The quickest, easiest way is the way which usually happens.

What resulted of your ChkDsk? Dd it show any bad sectors?
It just said..."disk check finished" or words to such effect.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Everybody has told you the PSU is below wattage for your PC so what more can we say?

41 - 54 of 54 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.