Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
TSF Emeritus
26,228 Posts
After you've saved your new BIOS settings, turn the computer off, remove the monitor cable from the video card and plug it into your onboard graphics VGA port, then switch back on again.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
After you've saved your new BIOS settings, turn the computer off, remove the monitor cable from the video card and plug it into your onboard graphics VGA port, then switch back on again.
Theres only one port my monitor cable will go into at the back of my computer.

Do I need to open up the casing and find a second port for the VGA cable inside somewhere?

·
TSF Emeritus
26,228 Posts
No, there's nothing inside the case. If your motherboard supports onboard graphics, there will be a 15-pin (3 rows of 5) VGA port at the back of the computer, near where you plug the monitor into the graphics card.

If your monitor connects via HDMI or DVI, use another monitor or a VGA-DVI adapter. (example link)

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
So.....currently my monitor is connected via a VGA cable and is plugged into the VGA port at the back of my computer.

So you want me to switch the BIOS settings to use the onboard graphics and then unplug my monitor from the VGA port and use a VGA-DVI adaptor to plug my monitor into the DVI port which is the only other port at the back there?

Am I understanding you right?

·
Global Moderator
Using Google to solve problems
43,132 Posts
So.....currently my monitor is connected via a VGA cable and is plugged into the VGA port at the back of my computer.
In the above picture, it shows a Video card. If your not using a card like the picture, but your using the onboard graphics (up higher, closer to the Ethernet, and USB ports) then you do not have to switch anything in the Bios. Just use the DVI port to see if that works. If you are using a card, and the DVI port does not work then try removing the card and use the onboard VGA port.

·
Global Moderator
43,132 Posts
1: Do you have a video card like the picture in post #25 that is lower in the case?
2: Do you have a VGA port on the back of the computer higher up by the USB ports?
3: if you have a VGA that is part of the motherboard (onboard higher up) Remove the video card and use the onboard VGA.

·
Registered
513 Posts
you already have it plugged into the onboard vga port? You now just change the BIOS to use the onboard VGA

·
Global Moderator
43,132 Posts
VGA is the blue one and DVI is the white one
As shown in picture in post #25.
Usually there is not an Onboard DVI, nothing to change in the Bios, other then to remove the Video card if there is an onboard VGA.

·
Registered
513 Posts
OOPS! Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. Model EP35-DS3R
GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 775 - GA-EP35-DS3R (rev. 2.1)

You don't actually have video out on the motherboard so you will have to use the GPU card for the VGA out so there should ony be the VGA/DVI option in the BIOS (possibly), select VGA.

Post#20
Quote:
Max Power 360W 360 watts is not enough power to run an nVidia 9800 GT GPU. You need at least 550 Watts and a name brand PSU.
You need to get a 650 watts PSU.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
OOPS! Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. Model EP35-DS3R
GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 775 - GA-EP35-DS3R (rev. 2.1)

You don't actually have video out on the motherboard so you will have to use the GPU card for the VGA out so there should ony be the VGA/DVI option in the BIOS (possibly), select VGA.
I cant get into BIOS.....says it wants a password. I've never used it before. My login password doesnt work. What do I do?

My computer is deteriorating. It's starting to freeze, blackscreen, flicker even when I do a hard reset now.

Help!

You need to get a 650 watts PSU.
Ok but should we see if its the GPU problem first?

I think I would also try a complete reinstall of the OS before I started buying hardware.

·
Registered
513 Posts
The bios password would have been set by the previous owner of the motherboard as it is always set to disabled by default.

You could try a workaround, use password AWARD_SW but without knowing the actual name of the BIOS, it may not work.

You do need to get a better PSU as your video card requires 400 watt PSU
NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT | Specifications | GeForce

If you don't run the video output on high settings, you might get away with what you already got.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
The bios password would have been set by the previous owner of the motherboard as it is always set to disabled by default.

You could try a workaround, use password AWARD_SW but without knowing the actual name of the BIOS, it may not work.

You do need to get a better PSU as your video card requires 400 watt PSU
NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT | Specifications | GeForce

If you don't run the video output on high settings, you might get away with what you already got.
The password didnt work.

So my options now are, get a new PSU and hope that sorts out the problem?

Correct?

Is it worth trying a reinstall of the OS first?

Even in safe mode I'm getting white screen freezes now.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I took my PC to a computer shop and he said the GPU was broken.

He's offering me a Nvidia GT 430 for $80. Is this a better card than the one I already have?

It sounds a little cheap to me and it doesn't look like the picture here: GeForce GT 430 | GeForce

The one he has is slightly different with a clear plastic hood and fan in the middle. Are there fake Nvidia's going around? I'm in asia so I need to be careful.

He absolutely insists that my PSU is fine to run my system with this new card.

Thoughts?

I need to give him an answer tomorrow. Do I need to insist on a more powerful PSU?

Thanks again.

·
TSF Emeritus
26,228 Posts
The GT430 is much slower than the 9800GT.

Your 360W is not powerful enough for the 9800GT, which could explain why after 4 years of use the GPU has been damaged.

If you're going to be installing a graphics card that gives similar performance to the 9800GT, replace the 360W PSU with a good quality 550W or higher.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.