Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
What you need to do is boot to Safe Mode and when the desktop has finished loading you then SHUT DOWN (not restart) for a minute or so.

Now power on and allow to boot to desktop without interference.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Go back to Safe Mode then Control Panel and uninstall whatever you feel is the problem but only uninstall those games or programs that you recently installed. In Safe Mode, the video output reverts to a VGA Safe Mode so there is not much video memory, about 64mb (not sure) so don't go playing any games while you are in Safe Mode.

Actually, it might not be any recent install but more likely that you are using a high tech GPU and motherboard (better with Vista or Windows 7) with XP.

It could be a PSU problem. What is your wattage on the PSU?

·
Registered
513 Posts
There should be a big label about 4 inches wide and 3 inches long and has information about the voltages and amp. There is a serial or model number that can give the wattage if the avtual wattage is not shown. The label might be on the otherside of the case. There might be a window in the base plate to allow you to remove the other side of the case but some "other" sides are not removable. You might have to unscrew the PSU from its mounting then you just swivel it around to see the label.

If possible, take a snapshot and post the pic or give as many details as possible.

·
Registered
513 Posts
It does sound like the GPU has frazzled. Sometimes you can get away with a lower wattage if you are only using simple programs like Microsoft Office, listenig to music or just simple internet but once you start playing games or use extensive programs, you will find the GPU will eventually fry itself, or even the CPu or ram or motherboard.

I got a Dell PC (DM-061) that only had a 305 watt PSU and though it worked fine for just simple stuff, once I started to do something intensive, the Cd burner wouldn't burn CD's, and I couldn't connect external hdd. I fitted it with a 550 watt PSU and it works much better.

I only got Vista 32 bit on it with a GT 8600 graphics card (512mb), 2 gb ram, 160gb hdd. I just use it for easy gaming.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Remove the Video card and use onboard video out instead and see if the problem persists.

When a PC boots it uses all the psu power available (total output) for a few seconds while initiating boot up, it could be the PSU is no longer providing the higher power output and the reset is just using standard power.

Is the boot up slow or quite fast like how long does it take to boot up?

·
Registered
513 Posts
Boot to Bios, change to onboard video out, save and exit then change the cable to video out port.

·
Registered
513 Posts
So.....currently my monitor is connected via a VGA cable and is plugged into the VGA port at the back of my computer.
you already have it plugged into the onboard vga port? You now just change the BIOS to use the onboard VGA

·
Registered
513 Posts
OOPS! Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. Model EP35-DS3R
GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 775 - GA-EP35-DS3R (rev. 2.1)

You don't actually have video out on the motherboard so you will have to use the GPU card for the VGA out so there should ony be the VGA/DVI option in the BIOS (possibly), select VGA.

Post#20
Quote:
Max Power 360W 360 watts is not enough power to run an nVidia 9800 GT GPU. You need at least 550 Watts and a name brand PSU.
You need to get a 650 watts PSU.

·
Registered
513 Posts
The bios password would have been set by the previous owner of the motherboard as it is always set to disabled by default.

You could try a workaround, use password AWARD_SW but without knowing the actual name of the BIOS, it may not work.

You do need to get a better PSU as your video card requires 400 watt PSU
NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT | Specifications | GeForce

If you don't run the video output on high settings, you might get away with what you already got.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Your current PSU is not good for anything except onboard vga. Continue to use that PSU and you will, eventually, fry up all the other hardware, one by one.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Ok so whatever happens I'm gonna need a new PSU even though my computer guy insists my one is fine
but does your PC guy know what GPU you are using or did he just test the PSU to see if it worked?

What resulted of your ChkDsk? Dd it show any bad sectors?

·
Registered
513 Posts
Everybody has told you the PSU is below wattage for your PC so what more can we say?

1 - 15 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.