Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
K...my pc will restart itself when i do a reg scan. / Or use Firefox 2 for more than 2 hours...

I have no spyware or viruses and my power and heat are good/// I know it’s something to do with a folder or file doing it... not sure its it’s a windows file or a different program doing it...

I have done a scan disk on every hard drive no problems I could find...

I have a good feeling there maybe something wrong with my reg... for this is who i figger ..So I try scanning it and I get a crash... k try again same thing/// so I change the reg types I scan again... After awail I find I can do a reg scan all the way thought if I turn off scan folder reg///

What could it be..

·
TSF Team Emeritus , Microsoft Visiting Expert
3,258 Posts
Hi Spriggan43

What program are you using to scan your registry?

When you searched your system for malware, did you double-check your local antivirus with an online scanner (such as TrendMicro's HouseCall, etc.)? If not, visit a scanner & let it have a look. Did you also scan for rootkits (which can hide malware)? If not, include a rootkit scan or two in your troubleshooting --- http://www.pcsupportadvisor.com/rootkits.htm

In your search for clues, have you checked in EventViewer for errors that coincide with the system restarts? [Start/Control Panel/Performance and Maintenance/Administrative Tools/Event Viewer].

I'd guess you are encountering a fatal system error, which is causing your computer to restart rather than show you the blue screen with the error message. This is, unfortunately, a default XP behavior. You can change this setting, thankfully: go to Start/My Computer, and right-click on My Computer. Select "Properties"/"Advanced"/"Startup and Recovery"/"Settings"/"System Failure" ... and remove the checkmark from the box "Automatically restart".

And if you feel you need a good Registry Cleaner, I find that CCleaner generally does a good job --- http://www.download.com/CCleaner/3000-2144_4-10315544.html

Best of luck
. . . Gary

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.