Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently reinstalled Windows, as it was becoming slow and clunky.

However, I am have a darn time trying to get Windows to recognize a 500gb Maxtor SATA II hdd. This drive has already been formatted with NTFS and contained roughly 340 gb of data that I had previously written before the reinstallation; so a reformat isn't a feasible option at this point.

The problem resides in that BIOS recognizes the drive as being there and having the correct capacity it the correct SATA Master drive, as does a boot up screen that contains all of the devices.

Windows XP Pro is installed on a IDE 250GB Hitachi HDD, and it will work fine without the SATA HDD connected.

However, when I connect the SATA HDD, the system will get to the Windows loading screen (with the progress bar), but will hang with a Black Screen right after.

I have tried to install some SATA/RAID programs from my motherboard, but to no avail.

What options do I have?

System specs:
Asus A8N SLI-Premium
939 AMD64 3800+ X2
250 GB Hitachi Deskstar
500GB Maxtor SATA/300
2GB(1GB x 2) Corsair Value Select

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
depending on what sata controller you have , I suspect that you need to install the sata driver. You will have to find out which controller you have or if indeed you have 2 sata controllers. then you should have the driver on your motherboard cd. Make sure you do not install the sata raid driver as this will not help. i will have a look at your motherboard specs and see what you need

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I do have two instances of nVidia nForce Serial ATA Controller showing in Device Manager, no yellow question mark or exclamation point on either of them.

Same problem yet, however.

Could it be that the hard drive is just dead? I mean, unlikely, as it was working flawlessly right before I reformatted the main partition of my IDE HDD, but it is possible.

The only thing I noticed was that when the XP install was scanning the SATA HD for partitions I guess, it froze. I simply turned it of, unplugged the drive and redid the install. Is this a symptom of failure?

In the meantime, I'm going to attempt to find someone in my dorm that is willing and able to let me test out my HD in their system.

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
Ok from the looks of it you have 2 SATA controllers, the Nforce4 and silicon image

Nforce 4 connections= SATA1,SATA2,SATA3,SATA4
Silicon Image connections= SATA RAID1, SATA RAID 2, SATA RAID 3, SATA RAID 4

so you will have to look to see what controller you have your drive plugged into, by default the silicon image controller is set to raid in the bios, so if connected to this conection that could be your problem, you will have to go into the bios and set it to either ide or sata
The Nforce is set to ide ( non raid mode ) by default

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, I have tried the HD in a friends computer whose motherboard does support 3gb/s SATA. The same thing happens, Windows will freeze (black screen) right after the scroll bar loading screen.

I have tried it in both SATA connections to no success.

I, however, hear no clicks or grinds comming from the hard drive. Is the HD dead? Or could a possible reformat do the trick?

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Hi,

Just a reminder if you did not........With that board, have you checked the Hard Drive Priority in the Bios? The newer boards have not only the Hard Drive (I know that board does) Priority, but the boot order that must have your boot drive in there. Just be sure the priority has the boot drive listed FIRST. When you hook and unhook drives, sometimes that gets corrupted, so be sure to check both of those after you get it hooked up the way you want it.

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
Go to the maxtor web site and download there hard drive diagnostic tool, this will run tests on the drive and should give you an indication on what is going on

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Hi,

Define this for me, what are you trying to install?

I have tried to install some SATA/RAID programs from my motherboard, but to no avail.
I need to know if you are trying to install raid or non-raid and this kind of threw me.

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
HI,

Just checking. If you are installing non-raid on this board, did you follow Blackduck30's instructions and go to the BIOS setup menu in the Advanced area and set the Raid to DISABLED?

Are you using the Sata Connectors (the ones closest to the side of the board) and not the Raid Sata Connectors?

Have you made sure the Sata is enabled in your Bios setup menu under the advanced area? That is listed under the advanced and under Sata 1 & 2. It must be enabled.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.