Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Recently installed ParetoLogic's 'RegCure Windows Registry cleaner' to WindowsXP SP2.
Didnt seem to clean any unused files or filepaths that I could see but "cured" me of my IE 7 icon on desktop, opened RegCure and did a restore... IE 7 icon reappeared but then was cured of my WMP icon on desktop....
Tried opening mp3's, mpgs, avi's, and wav files in WMP but it would either not play, play once and freeze, or play without sound.
InterVideo WinDVD 5 would not open to play DVD's.
Quicktime Player and Pictureviewer also did not open and microsoft Error Report always wants to send the file "xxxx_appcompat.txt" (where xxxx is some random alphanumeric)

Restarted windows

Recieved a USER ENVIRONMENT box that said:
"Windows cannot load the user's profile
but has logged you on with the default
profile for the system

DETAIL-Incorrect function"

Now nothing is in Programs on start bar but can run executables if I go to the file via MyComputer C:\Programs (was still able to play half-life2 this way), all items in the tray still load up, wireless network adapter still logs onto network, etc., but MyDocuments folder on desktop does not open, Recycle Bin is now named '%SystemRoot%\SystemRoot32\shell32.dll,31' and having same trouble with WMP, Quicktime, and InterVideo WinDVD

Created new user account, copied and pasted files from documents and settings from old to new user account.
Everything seems fine, other than half-life2 not being in programs on start bar and quicktime still not working.

I am wondering what to do now... just get rid of old user profile? do a clean boot? wipe the drive?

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
7,738 Posts
I know it seems like a moot point, but We advise against using registry cleaners.

Since it seems that it is already too late, your best bet would be to get a new profile up and running. It would be easy to get HL2 back in your programs and start bar.

Quicktime may need to be uninstalled and reinstalled for it to start working again.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811151 <- that is a document that explains how to move all your settings and files from one profile to the other. Then just delete the old corrupt profile.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, elf.

Well, the folders for Valve and Steam are in the C:\Programs folder, do I have to delete them and reinstall half-life2 to get it on the programs list for start bar? or is their another way?

This will sound really stupid, but is their a proper way to dispose of user accounts?

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
7,738 Posts
As for getting the program half life on your start bar...Just go to
Code:
C:\Documents and Setting\%what ever your account name is%\Start Menu\Programs
Create a folder in there for half life and put a shortcut to the halflife executable.

As for removing the old account, I would try removing it through User Accounts in your Control Panel. If that does not work let me know.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Uninstalled/reinstalled quicktime
quicktime player opens, but still get a 'please tell microsoft about this problem' error report sender... same weird file 'xxxx_appcompat.txt'

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tried to get rid of the corrupted account in control panel, but after pressing 'delete account' the app just hung there while HDD light stayed on... unless it takes well over 10 minutes to get rid of an account, I am stumped as to how to get rid of this thing

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hmm... well, went back to user accounts on control panel and the corrupt profile is no longer there, also no folder for the corrupted profile in 'documents and settings' file

so, I guess thats that....??....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
correction..... although the corrupted profile no longer has an icon in the control panel, nor is their a documents folder for it in the 'files stored on this computer' section in myComupter, there is still a folder for corrupt profile in 'documents and settings'... wha??

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm getting the same error message when I load windows

'User Environment:

Windows cannot load the users profile but has logged you on with the default profile for the system.
DETAIL - Incorrect Function'

I also cleaned my 'incorrect/unneeded' registry key things, and just before that transferred ownership of some files while in safe mode, and also used a program to disable autorun of certain programs such as java and whatnot that I didn't feel were necessary at this moment in time. Everything else seems to be exactly where it should be and working correctly.. in fact a little faster than before, just the error message is getting annoying.

·
Team Manager - Networking, Moderator - Hardware
19,861 Posts
Most registry cleaners allow you to save a copy of the registry and/or create a restore point before removing anything. Simply restore the previous registry or try system Restore and go back to a save before this occurred.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Most registry cleaners allow you to save a copy of the registry and/or create a restore point before removing anything. Simply restore the previous registry or try system Restore and go back to a save before this occurred.
Oh crap, big oops on my part.. I deleted the program and can't remember what it was called =[ is there any other way to fix this?

Also I don't know if this makes a difference or not but there is only one user on here, except for administrator while in safe mode.. but the system restore/recovery thing has been done on here several times.. when I say several I mean at least 5x or more >.<

·
Team Manager - Networking, Moderator - Hardware
19,861 Posts
Let me first point out, as I didn't earlier, that you shouldn't use someone else's post to solve your problems. Start your own topic.

You aren't likely to get that profile restored or repaired. Create a new profile, and then go about reinstalling your apps and troubleshooting any other issues that you find caused by the registry cleaner.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.