Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well I got a call from a buddy. he saying that his computer wont load windows.

it posts fine then shows a screen to select windows start (give the option to load in safe mode, normally or last know good config).
I've selected all that was listed (over the few tries) but i just restarts and goes through all this crap again.

I checked out the HD and all other componants with PC check all tested fine.
I also (incase) fixed the MBR.
changed cables

still nothing had fixed it. my suspicions are that windows is totally screwed (virus maybe) and will have to reinstall.

Any ideas???

·
TSF Team Emeritus , Microsoft Visitng Expert
4,279 Posts
Hello Major_Ecks

Well, its worth trying the following from the Recovery Console

Configure your PC to boot from CD if it isn't already set up that way. You may need to enter the BIOS to configure the PC to boot from the CD.
Set the boot order to
Floppy (if present)
CDROM
Hard Disk
SAVE and EXIT

Start your PC with the XP Setup CD in the drive. When you see the "Press any key to boot from CD..." prompt, do so and let the CD-based boot process begin.

When the Recovery Console option is offered ("Press R to start the Recovery Console"), do so. You may be asked which Windows installation to enter, in which case type the number of the Windows installation you wish to work on (usually "1").

When prompted, enter the Administrator's password for that Windows installation. If you did not set a password just press ENTER

At the command prompt, type
Bootcfg /Rebuild
ENTER

The exact wording will depend on your setup, but after a few moments you'll see a prompt that says something like:
Total Identified Windows Installs: 1
[1] C:\Windows
Add Installation To Boot List?

Assuming the information you see is correct, enter
Y
Bootcfg will start the process of rebuilding the boot list to include the indicated Windows installation

After a moment, you'll be asked to "Enter Load Identifier."
This is the name of the operating system that will appear in boot menus.
Type
Microsoft Windows XP Professional
or
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
(whichever your system is)
ENTER
Next you'll be asked to "Enter OS Load Options."
For normal installations, enter
/Fastdetect
ENTER

Type
Exit
to leave the Recovery Console and reboot the PC

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well I thought it would work for a minute there, but no.

it gave me choice of which OS to load, the old choice (i assume because it was worded differnt than mine) and the one I entered.

still gave me the option of which mode to use (last know good, safe mode, with networking etc.) but then it did the cycle thing again.

???well im lost what to do now??

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah i could try but its been a solid unit for 3-4 years and its not underpowered for the componants.

and i did have the DVD drive un hooked for a bit too so that would have lessended the load. The video card isnt a taxer either.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Sorry, what I was implying was that maybe the PSU has developed a fault (similar to one that I have experienced) which has rendered the PSU unable to supply the power as it used to.

Rob.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I would try Dunedin's choice but instead of typing Bootcfg /Rebuild, type chkdsk /r (note the space after the k. This will take an hour or so, depending on the size of the disk and the errors it finds!

·
Registered
19 Posts
well I got a call from a buddy. he saying that his computer wont load windows.

it posts fine then shows a screen to select windows start (give the option to load in safe mode, normally or last know good config).
I've selected all that was listed (over the few tries) but i just restarts and goes through all this crap again.

Any ideas???
At the advanced startup options choose "Disable Automatic Restarts On System Failure". This should generate a blue screen error message. Post back with the message including all of the gibberish.

·
Microsoft MVP
3,339 Posts
Start (or restart) the PC, then start tapping the F8 key about twice a second.
(Some PCs use F8 for other options, in that case try F5. On some Multimedia keyboards you may have to hold a separate Function key down so the Fx keys will not be seen as media keys)

The following Menu should appear. Pick the Blue one:
Windows Advanced Options Menu
Please select an option:

• Safe Mode
  • Safe Mode with Networking
  • Safe Mode with Command Prompt
  • Enable Boot Logging
  • Enable VGA Mode
  • Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked)
  • Directory Services Restore Mode (Windows domain controllers only)
  • Debugging Mode
  • Disable automatic restart on system failure
  • Start Windows Normally
  • Reboot
  • Return to OS Choices Menu
Use the up and down arrow keys to move the highlight to your choice.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.