Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I have a problem with Windows XP I hope you can help me with.
When I boot up (cold booot usually) I get to the point where the XP "welcome" screen comes on and my monitor switches off to standby. However, this is intermittent and other times it boots up perfectly. However now when I boot up it has started behaving very strangely. Instead of going straight to desktop, it goes to windows photo & fax viewer and displays an image entitled MY_C4D. I can click this off and the PC then operates normally. Other times, I still get the blank screen of the monitor on standby.
My monitor is new and fine with my other PC.
I have a feeling this is a software problem but I'm not sure... any ideas?

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I would check for malware. See the Security forum for some excellent suggestions.

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
Start by opening the case and double checking the connections to the motherboard. Check all cables and power connectors making sure they are tightly fitted.
Also check the connections from the back of the computer to the monitor as so forth.

This may also be some type of malware/spyware related look over the First Steps at Removing Malware

Have you tried booting into SafeMode and if so do you get the same results?

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
Its too odd to be a hardware conflict or problem. Seems a security problem so you should follow the above advice of PanamaGal and Geekgirl.. both girls of a different form :grin:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.