Tech Support Forum banner

Windows Backup

6K views 96 replies 8 participants last post by  Corday 
#1 · (Edited)
My needs are simple - I intend to make a backup of my C drive periodically using Macrium Reflect.
I have surfed the web many times and studied most of the many links on imaging or cloning.
All I want is for the restored drive to be exactly the same as my existing C drive.

There appears to be a subtle difference in the computer world between cloning and imaging.
To simplify I would ask - is the restored C drive exactly the same whether it has been cloned or imaged ?
If the answer is YES, then the differences expressed count for nothing.

For my purposes I favour cloning my C drive (60 - 70 GB) to a 160 GB external drive and perhaps monthly repeating the cloning
and over-writing the existing previously cloned copy on my external drive.

Your comments on this issue are welcome.

Restoring a System Image with Macrium Reflect

Edit - I found that an external drive of only 160 GB was useless. I have bought a 1 TB external drive that works perfectly. I now have a full C drive backup and can easily over-write it with a new up-to-date backup whenever I wish. It only takes 2-3 minutes to set up and 30 minutes to run.

See less See more
#32 ·
After much homework and study, I finally used Macrium Reflect and a 1 TB external drive. It all went successfully
and I now have Windows 10 and Macrium Reflect on my Windows boot menu with the option to do a new clone every 2-3 weeks.

#35 ·
I restarted my PC and the MR rescue screen never popped up, Windows started normally.
I renewed the MR Rescue menu successfully. I assume the MR menu will display on next restart.
The only clue I have is that I had renewed my clone since the last time, when the MR menu did show on restart.
Does this mean that for every clone renewal the MR rescue menu has to be renewed ?

#52 ·
Why you were asked for your Make and Model # was because we wanted to look it up to see how many USB ports are on the computer. According to the HP Spec Sheet. there are Two USB ports on the computer. You may be using the other for a Mouse or Keyboard? as stated, If you only have access to one USB port, then getting a powered USB Hub would solve that problem.
When you clone a drive, it takes a mirror image of the Source drive (ie) your internal C: drive;, and places it on the Destination drive (ie) your new USB drive. The process of cloning, wipes the Destination drive, to place the clone on it. So, if you had the MR boot file on the Destination USB drive, when you choose to Clone, it would want to wipe the MR boot file off that drive to place the clone, but would fail because you have booted using that MR file on that drive. So, you cannot have an MR boot file and the Clone on one drive

#53 ·
If you only have access to one USB port, then getting a powered USB Hub would solve that problem.
Brilliant - Why a powered hub and not a simple 3-4 port plug-in extension hub ?
Could the MR Rescue Media be placed on a Flash Drive and the clone on my external drive ?
Does the PC then boot up from the Flash Drive and my C Drive be restored by the clone on my external drive ?

#54 ·
USB devices are powered by the USB port. Using a Hub, it diminishes the power, some Mass Storage Devices like Flash drives or USB HDD's may not get enough power from a Hub that does not have it's own power adapter.
Yes, MR Rescue should be burned to a USB Flash drive, you then would boot from this USB Rescue Flash drive. If you have your USB HDD attached to the other USB port, in the MR app on the Flash drive, choose to Clone the internal HDD (source) to the USB HDD (Target or Destination) in the other USB port.

#55 ·
Now we're cooking.
Yabbadoo gave me numbers with typos.
I did indeed want to look at the Specs.
From what I can tell, it is supposed to have 2 USB 2.0; 2 USB 3.0 ports.
See photo's.
It is also supposed to be able to accommodate an internal M.2 SSD.
If that is correct, it makes life very easy.
The USB 2.0 Port does not provide much power.
The USB port can provide a lot more power.
So, we need to verify exactly what USB ports it has.
The Parts locater shows a hard drive that looks like a 3.5" HD.
That does not make sense.

Please confirm what hard drive is installed internally.
Device Manager will give you the Number.
Have a look at the image of the back of what is supposed to be 22-c0009na.
And have a look at the inside where the SSD goes.

Attachments

#56 ·
From what I can tell, it is supposed to have 2 USB 2.0; 2 USB 3.0 ports.
The USB 2.0 Port does not provide much power.
The USB port can provide a lot more power.
Please confirm what hard drive is installed internally.
Device Manager will give you the Number.
View of PC from back, left to right.
On left side - Disc compartment.
Bottom left - power switch.
Connections left to right - 7 in total -
1 & 2 - USB 2.0 sockets - 1 is not used, 2 is printer
3 - router
4 - power
5 & 6 - USB 3.0 sockets - 5 is keyboard, 6 is mouse
7 - not used
Device Manager - under Disc Drives - one item = WDC WD10EZEX-60WN4A0
I am not prepared to dismantle my PC and look inside.

#61 ·
Thanks.
Hell, it is a 3.5" hard drive. WDC WD10EZEX-60WN4A0
Very odd for an AIO!!
I would use the USB 2.0 (LEFT) for the Keyboard and Mouse.
Get a USB Hub and plug it into a USB 3.0 (Right).
Plug the Printer into the Hub. (Takes no real power.)
Plug the Flash Drive MR recovery into the Hub. (Takes very little power)
Plug the External Hard Drive into the last USB 3.0 Port.
Now you're setup to do your stuff.
Now here's what I do.

I use the extra internal SSD.
Mine is a mSata but it looks like yours is a M.2.
Same but different!!!
Different shape.
I have my Clone on that.
I can update all that I wish on the Clone.
It could also be on an external drive.

I use an external HD with my Laptop.
I use SyncToy to update my files on the Clone.

From time to time I Boot up the second drive and allow Windows to Update.
I allow some time after a major Windows update to see how it works on my system.
It’s exactly like the Master Drive down to the desktop items.

#62 · (Edited)
I am so grateful for all the incredible help you have all given me. On another Forum all I got was hassle. I was even told that my AIO HDD was rubbish.
I have never made a backup in over 14 years home computing and MR was a complete mystery until recently.

My interest in making a backup is due to a recent complete failure of my PC to logon. I had the traumatic experience of having to reinstall the Windows 1903 factory version from my Windows recovery drive D, plus recovering all my files, bookmarks and passwords. After a lot of effort I am now back to normal on Windows 1909 with an optional update of 20H2 and never want to go through all that again.
Consequently MR seems a superb solution.

I will get a 4 socket hub (not powered) and do as Joe says. I do not keep my Flash Drive and external drive plugged in, so there will be 3 sockets not normally used, only my printer connected.
I have no great demand on my computer, it is merely a daily workhorse, reference and contact source.

#63 ·
Well, now you can sleep better.
A few things:
First, I can’t emphasize enough how important it is to test the clone.
You need to install it in the computer and make sure you can Boot from it and that everything works.
No point keeping what you think is a Clone if it can't Boot.
Of course, even if it can't Boot, all your files etc. will be there but you will have to reinstall Windows on a new drive and transfer all your files.

You should also look at it in Windows Disk Management and see how many partitions show up.
The smaller partitions are usually hidden.
If you get EaseUs Partition Master Free, you'll be able to see the small partitions.
Joe

#64 · (Edited)
@ JoeGons
I fully understand and appreciate that MR should be tested out, but after my recent Armageddon I just have not got the nerves to do it.
I will set up my clone and boot media and just hope I never have to use it, rather like a reserve parachute.
At least I will know that I have got a reserve parachute and hope it deploys when needed. And like a reserve parachute, one hopes it will never be needed.

#69 ·
I wrote what I did because adding different data to a flash drive is doable provided there's room of course. The thing is, you wouldn't have needed to wonder, if you had a second flash drive. There are some things you want to keep semi-permanently, hence the need for a few flash drives. Make sense?

Reactions: yabbadoo
#71 ·
If you try to put Macrium Boot Rescue media on the flash drive it will erase everything on the drive.
If the Rescue Media is already on the drive and there is room, you could create a folder on the drive and put other files there.
I am happy with MR Boot Rescue erasing everything on my Flash Drive. It is a 60 GB Flash, I have only ever used it once when I changed computers 2 years ago and
the stuff on there is now rubbish. My current MR Boot Rescue is on Windows boot. I will delete that and put the boot rescue on my Flash Drive

#74 ·
Let Macrium create the Rescue Media first.
Then you can add stuff.
I have a Rescue Media on a 64GB drive.
You might even be able to place an Image of the partition(s) required to backup and restore Windows.
Thanks Joe - when I tried to create a clone on my 160 GB external drive - it said the drive was not large enough. That is why I got a 1 TB drive which is OK.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.