Tech Support banner

21 - 40 of 93 Posts

·
TSF Moderator , Hardware Team , Networking Team
7,041 Posts
Hmmm, interesting. Afraid I cannot think of an explanation at the moment. I do know that the way I've been using it for the last few years has proven that it does indeed work ... for me anyway.

If you are not comfortable with Maxium Reflect, EaseUS is another good one that many swear by: EaseUS® | Data Recovery, Backup, Partition Manager & PC Utility Software

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Hmmm, interesting. Afraid I cannot think of an explanation at the moment. I do know that the way I've been using it for the last few years has proven that it does indeed work ... for me anyway.

If you are not comfortable with Maxium Reflect, EaseUS is another good one that many swear by: EaseUS® | Data Recovery, Backup, Partition Manager & PC Utility Software
Thanks Doc - I like MR but as an engineer I just want to know why that cloned partition varies from the source partition.

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
27,291 Posts
System Restore Points are eliminated.

Reactions: yabbadoo

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Just found that Windows 10 has a built-in "create a recovery drive" - is this as good as MR ?

·
Registered
41,102 Posts
When you clone your drive, you have to include the 2 small Hidden Partitions in the front of the C: drive (ie) No Name FAT32 and the Unformated Primary partition with no drive letters as these include the Boot files to the drive.
I have had this issue with Macrium Reflect before too. When you swap out the HDD and boot off of it, you will have to go into Disk Management and Extend the C: drive to the end of the drive to use the full capacity. I do not find this issue cloning with Acronis or Easeus, so I stopped using MR.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I use two duplicate Samsung SSD 250Gb.....either one can be C: depending on which one is connected to the MB. I found a dandy USB-SATA cord on Amazon and use it to clone (Macrium Reflect) one SSD to the other whenever I wish!!! (often after major Windows updates or I somehow screw up C:) With this method it usually takes me <4min to clone. (thus my backup is always current)...I always delete partitions on SSD I am cloning to!!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Some tips using Macrium Reflect Free Edition (MRFE):
1) MRFE's dowload file HASHES are available on their website. USE THEM to verify the file you download is authentic, wherever you got the file(s) from. As I recall, they have maintained a complete history of the hashes for all versions released. I sometimes use a nice program called "HashMyFiles" to check file hashes. It's available at majorgeeks.com website. Download HashMyFiles - MajorGeeks
There may be a comparable tool bundled in Microsoft's "Nirsoft" program suite.

2) Always have MRFE create a new recovery .iso when you download/update to a new version of MRFE. The MRFE recovery protocols and files may be versions-specific.

3) I've used majorgeeks.com as a trusted download resource for many years. Majorgeeks is run by a couple of guys that I have come to trust. They look for adware, malware, bloatware, freemium, freeware, shareware, etc. and do a pretty good job of advising the users and providing info other sites may not provide. Their website offers a choice of access to their own download mirrors and to the author's download resource when available. You may choose which you prefer. Download performance can vary depending on choice.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Seems to me that the OP tried to clone his original 1TB drive to a 160GB drive.
Assuming that the “C” Partition has more than just the Operating System that needs to be backed up.
He really needed to clone the “C” partition (System) to the 160 GB drive.
He could backup all the other partitions (Data) to another external drive.
If the original Drive failed, he could clone the System back to a new Hard Drive.
He would need to partition the new 1TB drive and clone back the System Partition from the backup clone to a Partition on the new drive.

I believe Easeus can clone a Partition to a partition but a bit more complicated.
Never tried it.
Not sure if Macrium can do this.

Having said that, I’m not sure it would be such a good idea.
The recovery partitions and other small partitions that Windows creates will be lost.
Better to create an image of the whole drive and, if needed, boot off a CD or USB and restore.

I keep a Clone of my hard drive that has four partitions. (Used Acronis)
I update my Data using "SyncToy" to the clone from time to time. Documents, Email, Desktop and even Downloads.
Use a SATA to USB cable or an External case.
From time to time I Boot off the Clone and allow Windows to Update.
I allow time to make sure that the Updates work well with my System.
Works for me.
If my drive fails, I only need to swap out the drives and I’m good to go.
If it’s a Desktop and can accommodate a second Drive, it becomes easy.
Using "Boot Options" (F12) you can boot off the clone and allow Windows to Update.
My 2 ½ cents.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
After much homework and study, I finally used Macrium Reflect and a 1 TB external drive. It all went successfully
and I now have Windows 10 and Macrium Reflect on my Windows boot menu with the option to do a new clone every 2-3 weeks.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I restarted my PC and the MR rescue screen never popped up, Windows started normally.
I renewed the MR Rescue menu successfully. I assume the MR menu will display on next restart.
The only clue I have is that I had renewed my clone since the last time, when the MR menu did show on restart.
Does this mean that for every clone renewal the MR rescue menu has to be renewed ?

·
TSF Moderator , Hardware Team , Networking Team
7,041 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
I’ve never even seen the “MR Rescue menu”.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I’ve never even seen the “MR Rescue menu”.
OK Joe, I get it - I used the wrong word - I promise to use MR Rescue Media in future.
How about answering my question ?

·
Registered
41,102 Posts
The MR Rescue boot menu only shows one time after you choose to make a backup from Windows. As stated, Create an MR Boot Flash drive. When you want to create a new Image or Clone, boot from the USB Flash drive.

21 - 40 of 93 Posts