Tech Support banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My needs are simple - I intend to make a backup of my C drive periodically using Macrium Reflect.
I have surfed the web many times and studied most of the many links on imaging or cloning.
All I want is for the restored drive to be exactly the same as my existing C drive.

There appears to be a subtle difference in the computer world between cloning and imaging.
To simplify I would ask - is the restored C drive exactly the same whether it has been cloned or imaged ?
If the answer is YES, then the differences expressed count for nothing.

For my purposes I favour cloning my C drive (60 - 70 GB) to a 160 GB external drive and perhaps monthly repeating the cloning
and over-writing the existing previously cloned copy on my external drive.

Your comments on this issue are welcome.

Restoring a System Image with Macrium Reflect

Edit - I found that an external drive of only 160 GB was useless. I have bought a 1 TB external drive that works perfectly. I now have a full C drive backup and can easily over-write it with a new up-to-date backup whenever I wish. It only takes 2-3 minutes to set up and 30 minutes to run.

·
TSF Moderator , Hardware Team , Networking Team
7,046 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Super SpywareDr. ! Thank you. My Macrium Reflect is version 7.2.4732.
I have had a hard time with so-called experts on another Forum for deciding on cloning. They advocate imaging, but if the net result is the same exact C drive copy, I fail to see their problem ?
I have a Kesu Expansion External Hard Drive - 160 GB

·
7,046 Posts
That'll work, although it will be slower than internal.

FWIW, I use a simple On/Off switch setup on my internal SATA drives so that I can control them, and/or swap to a different boot drive, without having to disassemble/reassemble a thing. When I get ready to do a backup I simply push a little button and my backup drive powers up and is available for use. I can also then restore that backup to a different drive and make it available as the boot drive ... to verify that it is indeed a working backup.

·
Registered
41,107 Posts
I have had a hard time with so-called experts on another Forum for deciding on cloning. They advocate imaging, but if the net result is the same exact C drive copy, I fail to see their problem ?
A Clone is a mirror copy of the HDD you have Windows on saved on another HDD. If the original HDD fails, you just swap out the cloned HDD and you are back in business. An Image file is a compressed file that you save on another HDD, it does not take up the whole drive, so you can have other files on that HDD besides the Image. With a Clone, it stays the same from the day it is cloned. In other words, if you clone it today and need it 6 months from now, it will not represent any of the changes that have occurred on your computer since the Clone was created. An Image file can be added to with Incremental or Differential Backups so it is always current without having to do a Full Clone job again. Also, if the HDD hardware with Windows on it is still good, but Windows got borked by Virus or something, you can restore your saved Image file back to the Working HDD overwriting the old Windows. Where as a Clone you would need to swap the HDD out with the cloned HDD. But in the end, it is up to you what works best for you.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Would somebody kindly explain - downloads from Major Geeks and Filehippo
My original download of MR is version 7.2.4732
I read that the latest version is 7.3.5321.0 - I downloaded what was said to be 7.3.5321.0 to my desktop.
On checking it says version 7.2.1001.0 ?
Question ?
Where has 7.5321.0 gone ?
Does the installed copy of MS have a means of updating ?

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
PS - If MS fails during creating the cloned/imaged drive, do you simply close the program and all is well or does it result in Armageddon ?

·
7,046 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Doc - I could not join the Forum - they wanted my registration key and I have not got one - only a code that is rejected.
I skipped registration on installation
Agree with Corday, much safer to download software directly from the author's site whenever possible.

Macrium's forums are here: Macrium Support Forum
of the program.

·
7,046 Posts
Does the installed copy of MS have a means of updating ?
If by "MS" you mean "Macrium Reflect", yes. When you load it it automatically checks to see if a new update is available. If so, it pops up a separate window prompting you to do so now. You can also check within the program by clicking "Other Tasks" > "Check for updates..."

PS - If MS fails during creating the cloned/imaged drive, do you simply close the program and all is well or does it result in Armageddon ?
If by "MS" you mean "Macrium Reflect", No. I suppose you could simply ignore the failed error and close the program but, I certainly wouldn't trust that backup. You could take the time to test it and see if it worked but I would simply erase that one and start it over. (Set it up to run overnight ,,, or when you're not actively using the computer).

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
LATEST
I installed MR and had to format my external drive to NTFS and delete the partition.
Running MR was easy until I got to cloning my C drive, when a panel came up saying the target drive was not big enough.
My logic that 160 GB was more than enough for my 77 GB C drive was wrong. MR clones each entire partition including the free space, not just the used space.
So for a 915 GB C drive I need an external drive of at least 1,000 GB or more.
Alas, my current venture of creating a full backup is over until I get a higher capacity external drive.

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
27,302 Posts
As above. In addition, confirm what the receiving drive actually shows because it might be partitioned.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When I first installed MR, it took a copy of my hard drive - see -

MR runs at start. The values on the bottom line change with time, so MR is keeping up-to-date with my hard drive.
Hence in a months time I can clone my C drive (D drive not necessary) and it will be a current clone.

Is this correct ?

·
7,046 Posts
What I do is boot from the Maximum Reflect DVD, point it to the backup I want to restore and where I want it restored to. That's it. Let it do it's thing, remove the DVD and reboot.

·
Registered
41,107 Posts
When you Clone a HDD with Macrium Reflet or any other Clone software, it takes a mirror image of your Whole HDD, partitions and all and copies it to another drive of the same size or larger. as an exact mirror copy. If you want to Update this clone job, you have to clone the whole HDD, partitions and all, again.
If you make an Image file of your HDD, and save that compressed file to another HDD, the image will not take up the whole space of that drive. When you want to Update it, you can, as stated, boot off of the Macrium Reflect DVD or USB and choose to do a Differential or Incremental Backup, and point it to the previous Image Backup file, it will just add the changes that have happened on your C: drive since the last Backup or Update..

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have cloned my C drive - D drive ignored.
Question ?
All the partitions are identical except my C drive - why is the clone only 47.22 GB when the source is 78.40 ?
Source/Target -

Target -

·
7,046 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Looks like you created an Image backup instead of a Clone. Image copies all of the data, Clone copies everything including empty spaces.
I definitely clicked clone this disc. this difference had happened twice on two separate clone attempts.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts