Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i have been using my dads copy of Ultimate untill today it says i cant use windows anymore cuz i havent activated. typed in the key number thing and says its already in use, so that means only one computer can run one copy? that sucks, but now, how do i reinstall my old version of premium if i cant access windows now? i have the cd that came with the computer but i cant access it? can someone help me out ?

·
Administrator, Manager, Microsoft Support, Acting
34,376 Posts
Hi -

You should check w/ your dad, too - he might be getting the same message. You do need your own copy of Vista. If Home Premium came pre-installed on your system and you have the DVD and key code, you should be able to boot-up w/ it. You may need to change the BIOS order to look at the DVD 1st (b4 hard drive).

If that works, it will re-format your HDD and all files are lost. The only methods that I can advise you on to recover files is to purchase Ultimate and enter the key code or to use another hard drive for Home Prem installation, then connect the current as a slave and then try file retrieval.

The lingering issue is whether Vista has seen your running of Ultimate a Vista Upgrade, which may mean that your Home Premium key code is no longer valid.

If the files are not important, place the DVD in, boot-up and press the F2 key (or esc, enter, etc... if there is option mentioned on boot screen), enter the BIOS & change configuration so DVD 1st in line.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
54,257 Posts
ok so i have been using my dads copy of Ultimate untill today it says i cant use windows anymore cuz i havent activated. typed in the key number thing and says its already in use, so that means only one computer can run one copy?

True

that sucks, but now, how do i reinstall my old version of premium if i cant access windows now? i have the cd that came with the computer but i cant access it? can someone help me out ?

Boot from the install DVD . . delete the existing partitions and create a new one(s) . . then install

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.