·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all from downunder (Australia),
My problem with Win98SE is as follows:

I frequently use MS-DOS mode and have received information that I can load
memory-resident programs (TSR's) needed by MS-DOS, in a file "Dosstart.bat",
and that by doing this I will free more conventional memory for use by MS-DOS programs.

This works very well, but the problem arises when I reboot to Windows. The TSR's in Dosstart.bat are loaded by Windows when they are not need by Windows.

The TSR's I refer to are:

Mouse
Keyboard, and
Nlsfunc (Country.sys)

I understand that any TSR's needed by Windows (none that I can think of) can be loaded into a file "Winstart.bat" which is the opposite to Dosstart.bat.

Can anyone advise me on this?

:sayyes:

·
Banned
102 Posts
Hi JOR,

Pleased to hear from down under. :)

THE WINSTART.BAT FILE

The WINSTART.BAT file in Windows 95 and 98 loads TSR programs required for Windows-based programs but not needed in MS-DOS sessions. This file, if it exists, is usually in the C:\Windows folder, and is executed every time Windows starts — just like AUTOEXEC.BAT, except that AUTOEXEC.BAT is also launched during a DOS startup. You can examine and edit the contents of WINSTART.BAT with Notepad. You can temporarily suspend any line of WINSTART.BAT by placing REM (followed by a space) in front of the line. (Note that this is ignored in all other versions of Windows, since there is no need to differentiate MS-DOS session behavior.)
http://aumha.org/a/loads.php

Hope this helps.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.