Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello my name is eddie nice to meet you all in advance.

i am a student in collage and can not up grade my pc to 2000 as i have not got the cash to aford it. anyways here is my problem this might sound weird but i am on my pc now and it is not responding but i have internet access for how long who knows, it just happened the other day i loged off and got a rundll32 error so i closed it and when i loaded up next day my computer stoped responding. i hit ctrl-alt-del and it said EXPLORER NOT RESPONDING, so i pressed end task to reboot and now it just keeps happening i cant access anything the strat up menu will not work my desktop has that emergency desktop thing, and i cant even right click to get my destop working if i click on an icon it starts and stops and i hit ctrl-alt-del and it say eg: music match not responding, please if anyone can help me i would be very greatfull i will leave this page open as if i close internet explorer i dont know if it will come back. please help

Eddie.:no: :confused:

S

·
0 Posts
Welcome to the forums Eddie B..........:D

What operating system are we talking about here?

S

·
0 Posts
If this is a home build type I would try to load Windows 98 over itself and see how that goes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will try it thnx

I will try your idea i will have to get rid of all my files. :confused: :confused: but thanks
Ed.

S

·
0 Posts
If you load Win. 98 over itself you shouldn't lose any files.

Just change your boot sequence to boot to CD-Rom first insert the CD and run setup.

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
boot from win98 cd?

my win98se cd isnt bootable, and neither are any of the others i have seen.

if one exists, i would like to find one

~BoB~

S

·
0 Posts
If the one you have is an upgrade it is not bootable!

But on the other hand if you have the full version it is bootable.

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
well

no really, the copy i have is a full version second edition cd and it is not bootable.

checked and made sure, and it wont boot at all. (even though all my other bootable cd's will)

it has a funny code name for the version though

"memphis" is its code name for the version, whatever that means, i am told it explains what it is that i have.

~BoB~

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
Re: boot from win98 cd?

bob vila said:
my win98se cd isnt bootable, and neither are any of the others i have seen.

if one exists, i would like to find one

~BoB~
Rattle...rattle... Here's a retail copy of W98, and when I put it into the CD of a system and fire it up, it boots just fine and starts the setup process. OK, the OEM disk I have also boots. :D I'll admit, the Upgrade CD doesn't boot, but either of the ones that are designed to be installed onto clean systems boot just fine.

If the CD you have is a copy, which wasn't done correctly, it may not boot. Microsoft says that W98 CD's boot, and the two flavors I have seem to bear out their contention. :)

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
ok listen.

i am not posting on this thread to argue.

The Facts:

my copy of win98se (full version for PC's without windows) is an original, and is not bootable in any way.

i have other copies, but they are 100% clones.
none of them, not even the original, has the .bin files required to boot from cd.
the win2k disks i have here do.
the xp disk i have does.
and all the disks i have burned that are bootable, have the .bin files on them.
my copy came in a cardboard box with a boot floppy.
it has never been bootable.

i also have one of the upgrade disks, and it isnt either (might i add that if i use the key from the full version, the upgrade becomes the full version.)

My Point:

i only mentioned this because if this person has a copy that is anything like mine (made in early 1999) then they will need a boot floppy.

they can get one at www.bootdisk.com

i will not argue the fact that one does exist, i know that anything is possible.

i myself made a copy of 98se that boots, by adding the floppy disk to the beginning of the cd as floppy emulation. then i copied the entire contents of the 98 cd, and titled the disk the same.

what i end up with isnt the same as what i assume you are talking about. when i boot from it, it boots atapi cdrom floppy emulation. then, a: becomes the beginning track of the cd. and my a: becomes b:

but i would expect that the bootable 98 disk you are referring to would most likely boot more like the 2k and xp disks.

~BoB~

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
What can I say, all the W98 OEM or retail disks I've ever seen were bootable, Microsoft says they're bootable, I've always believed them. :)

·
Registered
336 Posts
if you can't boot from CD...get a 98se boot disk here .

Set bios to boot from floppy first, then CDROM, then Hard drive.

insert boot disk and boot...

1.Choose ... 2. boot with cdrom support.

2.at a: prompt type .... format c: and hit enter

3.enter or don't enter volume label...doesn't matter

4.insert CDROM and at a: prompt type E: (if you have more than one partition move cdrom prompt up 1 letter higher than normal).

5.at E: prompt type.... setup
(if it doesn't start the CD then type .... CD WIN98 and then at next E: prompt type...SETUP)
that's it...follow CD instructions.

·
Registered
529 Posts
My 98SE boot disk boots. If it is the Memphis version, I think that was actually the Beta version of Windows 98. That might explain why your disk won't boot. I know my 95 disk don't boot, but that's my only OS disk that won't boot.

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
thanks lectra, now i dont feel like an idiot.

i really do have a non-bootable copy of win98se

it was made in April 1999.

i think it was aida32 that told me it was codename memphis.

i didnt even know what that meant. would they have sold the beta version in stores?

this particular disk was bought at a pc supply store, and came with a boot floppy.

where did you find the information about memphis being a beta? that may explain why it doesnt install like other 98se cd's i have seen.

i am including the setup.txt file from the win98 folder on the disc if anyone would like to look it over, you will see in the instructions for installing clean, it does not mention this disc being bootable.

anyways, thank you again lectraplayer.

~BoB~

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.