Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi there, my old old man's (grandads) pc is having a bit of trouble, its running on 98 (will be XP soon). and recently he has been getting the whole windows saying "explorer has performed an illegal action and will shut down etc etc" and this appears with everything he clicks, apart from the net weirdly. ive tried unplugging the modem to make sure its not anything accessing the net. ive tried more or less everything that seems logical. but to no avail, i am desperate for ideas if anyone has any?....i will be VERRYYY Appreciative =) thanks

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
First make sure the system is free of spware/malware by using these programs.

Scan your pc with 2 of these free online scanners:
Panda ActiveScan
RAV AntiVirus
Housecall Be sure to put a check the box beside AutoClean
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Download / Install / Update / and Run:
Adaware SE check for any updates before running it.
Get the plug-in for fixing VX2 variants. You can download it at this SITE
To run this tool, install to the hard drive, then open Ad-aware->Add-ons and select VX2 Cleaner. Then click Run Tool and OK to start it. If it's clean, it will say Status System Clean. Otherwise, you will have to click on the Clean button to remove the VX2 infection.

Download and install Spybot S&D . Run Spybot and click on the 'Search for Updates' button. Install any updates that are available. Next click on the 'Check for Problems' button. Let it run the scan. If it finds something, check all those in RED and hit the Fix Selected Problems button. Exit Spybot. If you keep getting the DSO Exploit entries, even after you updated Windows and fixed them, then download the Spybot DSO Exploit Fix and install it over the current Spybot installation.

After using those Run the System File Checker

Go to the Run box on the Start Menu and type in:

sfc /scannow ( sfc if not reconized)

This command will immediately initiate the Windows File Protection service to scan all protected files and verify their integrity, replacing any files with which it finds a problem. You will need your Windows cd.

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
Illegal operations are caused in Windows when an application asks the OS to perform a function that cannot be carried out. This could be due to an error in the application's code or it might occur when the application tries to access a corrupted system file.
The only option in the Illegal Operation dialog box is to close. When you click close, the offending application will shut down. Most cases the OS and other applications should continue to function properly.
If the errors persists you may need to restart the computer. If you still receive illegal operations the problem may only be resolved by reinstalling the application. Most illegal operations are application specific, meaning the only application causing the illegal operation is the one it is stating.
In your case you say its Explorer. The only way to repair explorer is to try to use the SFC utility to replace any missing or corrupted files, if this does not work you may need to do a repair installation.

Making sure the system is free of spyware/malware will help determine what is causing the illegal operation. It may be caused by some type of spyware, that is why I am having you run those programs first along with SFC.
If you still experience the problem we will then try a repair install. If that fails you are looking to do a complete reinstallation starting with fdisk, partition and formatting the drive.
I hope this explained my previous instructions alittle better :grin:

·
1,438 Posts
Sorry / posted to soon. Thought it was internet explorer; not explorer.exe.

I would go with it being a virus or trojan which has appended itself to explorer.exe so that when you run explorer (double clicking something) it also runs the virus/trojan.
That is why it is essential that you run the scans mentioned.
If you cannot do the ones from installed programs in normal mode, try in safe mode.
On bootup, after the initial beep, start tapping F8 once a second to get the startup options menu and choose 3 safe mode.

·
Registered
1 Posts
manning-new guy in town

i'm having the same problem, only it happens when my computer is on too long. is that easy to fix?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.