Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a laptop that is running Windows 98 but at the moment is getting stuck when booting up.
You can run in safe mode but, when scandisk is set to run it just hangs on 0% and does nothing.
Two problems, I have not got a bootable disk available and I have data on the disk which is not backed up.

1/ Is there a way of repairing Windows ( I am assuming that an area of the disk is corrupted, that is why both scan disk and windows will not work?)
2/ Can I recover what data I need?
3/ Will I have to wipe out the disk and relaod Windows 98 from scratch?

Any information or help would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
Hello and Welcome to TSF

Create a Bootable disk

1/ Is there a way of repairing Windows ( I am assuming that an area of the disk is corrupted, that is why both scan disk and windows will not work?)
Boot to a 98 boot disk, at the command prompt type in scanreg /restore
You'll be given a choice of dates. Select one and click Restore.

2/ Can I recover what data I need?
Use a Laptop IDE Hard Drive Adaptor, slave the hard drive to a desktop computer and copy your information

3/ Will I have to wipe out the disk and relaod Windows 98 from scratch?
I cant give you a definate answer on that

Find the manufacturer of your hard drive and run their Hard Drive Diagnostics Utility.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
creating the boot disk

Thanks for your advice. I have downloaded from the webiste the windows 98 boot files. The problem I am having at the moment is that when I run the boot98.exe file it wants to write to a floppy drive. Although I have a floppy it displays write failures from the very start. Is there anyway of getting this program to write to disk, so that I could then copy it to a CD?

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
Only way I know of
Step 1: Make sure you have the following
A: Windows 98 Cab files or CD
B: Windows 98 Bootdisk www.bootdisk.com
C: CD Burner
D: Blank CD
E: CD Burner software (I prefer Nero)

Step 2: Make the disk
A: Put in blank disk
B: Put in boot disk
C: Open Nero (or other)
D: Tell it you are creating a bootable disk
E: It will ask you to browse to the floppy for boot record
F: Then drag your 98 files over and click burn

If you want it to got directly to windows setup, you will need to modify the autoexec.bat on the boot disk to do so.

http://www.ntcompatible.com/How_do_I_create_a_bootable_Windows_98_CD-ROM_t23157.html

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
not very well explained by me!

I think that I have not explained it very well to you.
I have downloaded from www.bootdisk.com a file which is called boot98.exe. When i run this it tries to create the boot files by writing to a floppy. It is at this point that I get write failures to the floppy. So it is the process of extracting the the files from the boot98.exe that if failing.

There seems to be a problem writing to the floppy drive. I was hoping that to extract the files from the boot98.exe I could write them to soemthing other than a floppy e.g. a hard drive, then copy them to a cd which could be then used to boot the laptop.

Perhaps it is just better to take the hard drive out of the laptop and see if I can rescue any files on there? There seems to be available units which you can fit the harddrive into and then via a USB connection attach it to another PC and extract the files hopefully?! What do you think?

·
Registered
668 Posts
Hi, Some Exes for drivers and such have an optional feature in that if you run
(example) Boot98 /C: or similar it will be directed to your C: drive. Not sure about that one. If you do get it to go to C: or elseware be sure to "Copy" to CD with System Files. Command.com visible and DOS.SYS and IO.SYS hidden. Nero and Roxio can do that. That is ask the burner to make a bootable CD.

Hope this helps a bit, Jim

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
nope still not working

the boot98.exe program www.boodisk.com only wants to write to a floppy disk. I have tried formating a blank disk and that even seems to be a problem. I seem to be unearthing a can of worms here.
I am not sure why I cannot format a floppy disk? I am using the standard supplied by Microsoft on my PC.?

That leads to a different problem why the heck can I not even format a floppy disk? Sometimes I wish....... I could...............

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.