Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

A friend of mine experienced a BSOD crash on their Windows 7 computer. Unfortunately I was not in a position to see the exact message that was presented, however in my experience this doesn't always make a great deal of difference. After offering to fix my friend's computer I quickly discovered that one of the installed RAM sticks is faulty. I replaced both RAM sticks, and tested - all is fine on the RAM front. However the hard drive also appears to be corrupt. Windows 7 will not boot, and I have tried the following to rectify the situation:

1). Booted into Windows Recovery (using the W7 installation disk)

2). Windows didn't detect an Operating System install, so I made my way to the Command Prompt

3). Executed a number of commands that would normally fix the MBR and other boot related issues, notice after both the bootrec.exe /fixmbr & the bootrec.exe /fixboot commands reported "...completed successfully"! Then I issued the bootrec.exe /rebuildbcd command and Windows 7 promptly informed me that it couldn't find any Windows installations...

4). I then considered the possibility that the wrong partition may be set active on the disk, so I tried swapping the Active partitions around (and once this didn't achieve anything I switched back!)

Having had no success with the Recovery options I physically removed the hard disk and connected it to a docking bay -

*** Whilst the docking bay is connected to Windows 7 (64 bit) I get the following message ***

*** When I then use an XP Virtual Machine, and connect the drive to it I get a slightly more promising message ***

I still really want to recover this disk, and boot into Windows 7 from it. There is quite a bit of personal data on this disk that my friend cannot replace. Any suggestions on how I might go about fixing this will be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Davo

·
Enthusiast
16,762 Posts
how many hard drives are there?

Are any of them mechanical and are any of them solid state drives?

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello greenbrucelee,

Thanks for your interest in my post - there is just the one hard drive, it is mechanical, a Seagate Barracuda (with a capacity of 1 Terabyte).

Kind Regards,

Davo

·
Enthusiast
16,762 Posts
what it looks like to me that there are two primary partitions. That would be ok if you had more than one OS on each drive but I take it it is just windows, so from what I see the computer doesn't know where to boot from that is why it cant see an operating system.

Really it should be a primary partition and an extended partition.

Now I would wait until you get any other posts from other guys on here but my suggestion would be to boot from the windows disk and do a repair installation of windows on the C: drive and change the second partition into an extended partition. You wont loose any data by doing the repair install.

I might also suggest that you download sea tools from seagate and run it on the drive as it could be knackered.

Wait until some other guys have suggestions as I am more into he hardware side of things.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Unfortunately, it is not possible to do a repair install unless you can first boot into Windows, which it sounds like you cannot. :-{

Through the recovery options, are you able to find the drive letter containing the Windows files? Have you tried running a disk check on that drive letter outside Windows?

Additionally, does startup repair work when either partition is marked active? Have you run startup repair three times with a reboot in between each run? Try doing so on both partitions if you can.

-----

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.