Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I shut off my computer earlier today and when I tried to turn it back on, it will not load beyond the blue login screen. I've tried starting it in safe mode but again, it won't go beyond the blue login screen. I've tried repairing it and it says that there is no problem. When I try to run the command prompt, it says hat it can not complete the task because a system repair is in process. Please help me, I have important files om there for clients.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Welcome MahLiiSah

Sounds like you are in a rush and that you have an installation/repair disc.

I suggest you just boot to that and try running System Restore to a previous point (you will not lose any files, just perhaps a program or two you installed recently).

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
You could try putting the hard drive into another system (if you have one and not as the boot drive), where you might be able to get this important data off you need.

You could also try creating a bootable USB stick using a free Operating System (some sort of Linux or something), and then accessing the data.

Or continue to try and repair this fault...

-----

You mention it will not boot beyond the login screen. Does this mean you input your password and then it just doesn't boot?

Have you tried running Startup Repair from the disc? If so, try booting your system, pressing F8 and try the Startup Repair (or rather Repair Your Computer) from there (not the disc).

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
if you have access to another computer, purchase this > Newegg.com - Vantec 2.5"/3.5"/5.25" SATA/IDE to USB 2.0 Adapter - Model CB-ISATAU2

take out your hard drive from your computer and plug it into the working computer with this cable. you should be able to access any files on that hard drive as if it were a flash drive or external hard drive.

From there you can save any files you need.
MahLiiSah, this may be a good idea if you are not not confident moving your hard drive to another system (internally) or perhaps if the only other system around is a laptop.

You could try putting the hard drive into another system (if you have one and not as the boot drive), where you might be able to get this important data off you need...

·
Moderator , - Microsoft Support
7,738 Posts
Hi, you reference command prompt I assume this is from the RE (repair your computer) option. The command prompt should open at X: sources, is this when you input a cmd and it returns a system repair is in progress? What is the cmd you are trying to run?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.