Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently upgraded to Windows 7 from Vista, both the 64-bit versions, and I have suddenly started having trouble with my wireless connection. I have a motherboard with a built in adapter, a Realtek RTL8187, and I periodically lose internet connectivity, and am unable to find any new networks. This also always coincides with my system monitor reading 80-90% CPU usage while idle, up from a usual 2-5%, and stays that way until I restart. What temporarily fixes the problem is to run the network troubleshooter once after the problem occurs, which decides to reset the adapter, but stalls out if I go any further in the process, and then once again after I restart, which enables the adapter again, and works for a while until the same thing happens again, anywhere from a few minutes to a day or so later. The windows upgrade assistant program warned me to download an updated driver before upgrading, and install it after, which I did. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm pretty stumped.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The device manager didnt tell me which one it was, so tried the third of three I hadnt tried before, the RTL8187L, and it looks like that worked. Thanks so much.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Oops, spoke too soon, the driver package for the RTL8187L, unlike the SE and B variants, did in fact modify the driver for the adapter, showing a new driver in the device manager, but the same thing is still happening.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also: and not sure if this is related, but when the wireless-loss/CPU-drain thing happens, if I shut down through windows, it typically gets stuck on the "your computer is shutting down" screen, and I'm not sure if it has eve successfully turned off or not, but I had been forcibly turning it off when it did that with the power switch. Anyway, I didn't do it this last time it happened, and it bluescreen'd after a few minutes, citing some problem with a driver related to power, possibly a "power controller" though I'm not totally sure.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I ran the computer in safe mode w/ networking for a few hours and didn't lose wireless, which is longer than it usually makes it in normal boot, though I cant be completely sure it wasn't about to disappear. I have Kaspersky antivirus, which has a couple of internet security functions, but not the whole internet protection suite. Thanks.

·
Moderator , - Microsoft Support
5,143 Posts
You mentioned that your computer would spike its CPU usage when you were having the issue, did you by chance check task manager to see what it was that was causing the cpu % to spike?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The CPU reading is from a system monitor gadget, but when I open task manager, there dont seem to be any processes which would account for the usage, unless they are somehow within the "system idle process," which during the CPU % spike, still accounts for 85-95%.

·
Administrator, Manager, Microsoft Support, Acting
34,376 Posts
Hi -

In Task Manager, go to the Process tab, lower-left corner - check the box. You'll see a lot more apps come up. Sort by clicking on the CPU tab.

Is the system monitor gadget the one native to Windows 7 or ..? More often than not, the sidebar is the cause of the activity you describe when gadget present.

Sidebar does not run in Safe-mode.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I disabled the sidebar, but get the same reading from the Task Manager CPU monitor that the sidebar gadget was showing, which, by the way, is not a native windows gadget. Since I have not seen the problem occur in safemode, I have not been able to check whether or not the same CPU spike occurs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.