Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Windows 7 Ult x64 Desktop which is basically the house "File Server" and all of a sudden on Friday (after a reboot) the internal hard drives couln't bee seen on the other computers in the house. The other computers I have are as follows: HP DV7-1025nr running Win Vista HP x64, HP DV9*something* running Win Vista HP x64, and another desktop wunning Windows XP Pro x32. When I try to access the networked drives from the other computers I get the error pictures below, When I check the 7 desktop the drives are shared the way they are suppose to (same as they've been for over a year now) but all of a sudden they can't be connected to by the other computers, as you can see in the picture the computer appears on the network but the externals can't connect to the desktop7, However I can connect from the desktop 7 to a shared folder on my laptop DV7...

Any help anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Page 2, 54 Reads, Bump...

No one has any idea how I can try and fix my issue?? I've tried google and nothing I found has helped or applied to me aside from the error code.

·
Team Manager - Networking , Moderator - Micros
4,097 Posts
On the house server, right click on 1 drive or folder that is to be shared, select the Share and make sure the "Everyone" user is listed and has Read/Write access. If not, add Everyone from the dropdown box.

Go to another PC, right click on My Computer and click "Disconnect Network Drive". Then disconnect from the drive you checked above. Right click again and select "Map Network Drive". Map the drive in the format of \\Servername\FolderName. check the box that says log on with different credentials, even if you don't use a password on the server.

If that doesn't work, try unsharing 1 folder on the server, then recreate it. I've found that sometimes you have to log off then on again for the PC your trying to connect to the server.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On the house server, right click on 1 drive or folder that is to be shared, select the Share and make sure the "Everyone" user is listed and has Read/Write access. If not, add Everyone from the dropdown box.

Go to another PC, right click on My Computer and click "Disconnect Network Drive". Then disconnect from the drive you checked above. Right click again and select "Map Network Drive". Map the drive in the format of \\Servername\FolderName. check the box that says log on with different credentials, even if you don't use a password on the server.

If that doesn't work, try unsharing 1 folder on the server, then recreate it. I've found that sometimes you have to log off then on again for the PC your trying to connect to the server.
"Everyone" had full control since I set up the home network over a year ago but I double checked it and it still has full control.

I tried disconnecting the network drive and re-connecting it but the issue seems (to me) to be with the home server PC, When I open the "Network Folder" that shows all the computers in the network i can click on the server one and I get the error in the picture above.

As a test I tried to change the computer name on the network and the laptop showd both the new network name and the old one too, then when I changed it back after it didn't fix the problem the new name went away and the old one continued to remain.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
On Eugenes

Goto start type \\eugenes into the search and hit enter does this work.

Also try

Here is the solution to "error code 0x80070035 network path was not found" on Windows Vista and Windows 7 Computers. Click on the "START" button, select "CONTROL PANEL", and go into "DEVICE MANAGER". Click on "NETWORK ADAPTERS", then click on "VIEW", and select "SHOW HIDDEN DEVICES". In the expanded view you will see a long list of numbered "MICROSOFT 6to4 ADAPTER". My Windows 7 Professional desktop had 200 of them. Right click and select "DELETE" on all but 1 of them. You can only do 1 at a time so it does take a while. When you have only 1 left, restart computer and enjoy being able to see your other network computers, including HOMEGROUP files.

·
4,097 Posts
Are you using a Norton firewall, if so did you disable it?

Try pinging each computer by IP address and computer name.

Ex. Open a command prompt, type Ping HP_Desktop
Find the HPs IP address and ping the same way. Try it to and from server

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yes, I can access "Eugenes" network folder on its computer, However not from any others on the network. It shows the 5 folders and 1 printer being shared on the network, but I can't access any of them from the other computers.

In control Panel I look at the network adapters (with hidden showing) but I don't see any "MICROSOFT 6to4 adapter", All I see is "WAN Miniport(xxx)" where xxx= IP, IPv6, L2TP, Network Monitor, PPPOE, PPTP, SSTP. Along with isatap, and the actual Realtec adapters drivers.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Check network and sharing center.

And check advanced sharing settings on the left.
for??? I am on the correct network, I can see the computer in the "Network" list, I just can't connect to it.

What I don't get is everything was fine and dandy until this past thursday/friday when it went out, Nothing was changed it just stopped working. Norton has been installed since initial set-up, Folders have been shared since initial set-up, everything worked since set-up, Until last Thurs/Fri.

Ping results, From server to laptop, sent4 recieved4 loss0 From Laptop to server sent4 rrecieved0 loss4 "Request Timed out" 4Xs.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
To save time system restore your home server back to when it worked, could be anything
I tried that back on saturday, unfortunately, no go. However I guess I can try again just incase, I'll do that after I get up later. Thanks for all your help. If this doesn't work I may try and re-install windows, however if it comes to that I will be looking into a small SATA drive instead of the paralell in there now.

·
4,097 Posts
Ping results, From server to laptop, sent4 recieved4 loss0 From Laptop to server sent4 rrecieved0 loss4 "Request Timed out" 4Xs.
That's the key to your problem. Triple check and make sure you have any firewalls turned off -- Windows, Norton, Comodo, etc.
  • Work on getting only 1 PC and the server to share together. Don't confuse anything by messing with the other computers yet. Don't worry about what caused it at the moment and it doesn't make a difference how long it's previously worked for. The goal is to fix it.
  • Are you using Password protected file sharing or Simple file sharing?
  • Do both PCs have a user name and password?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's the key to your problem. Triple check and make sure you have any firewalls turned off -- Windows, Norton, Comodo, etc.
  • Work on getting only 1 PC and the server to share together. Don't confuse anything by messing with the other computers yet. Don't worry about what caused it at the moment and it doesn't make a difference how long it's previously worked for. The goal is to fix it.
  • Are you using Password protected file sharing or Simple file sharing?
  • Do both PCs have a user name and password?
During Pin test, I've done both with firewalls and without.

I've only been concentrating on 1 PC at a time, I'm just stating that none of them connect.

password Protected file sharing is off, Just regular sharing

Yes, Both PCs have usernames and passwords, They are the same on both if i'm not mistaken.

·
4,097 Posts
  • Disconnect the Mapped drives on the HP to the server and make sure reconnect at logon is unchecked
  • Turn off File and Printer sharing on the server and the HP
  • Reboot both PCs, then enable file & printer sharing with everyone on the server. Keep password protected sharing off for now.
  • Share one drive or folder on the server with everyone.
  • Enable File & sharing on the HP.
  • From the HP, ping the server by name and by server's IP address. It's pass or fail. Does it pass?
  • Try and Map the new share you created on the server from the HP.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
  • Disconnect the Mapped drives on the HP to the server and make sure reconnect at logon is unchecked
  • Turn off File and Printer sharing on the server and the HP
  • Reboot both PCs, then enable file & printer sharing with everyone on the server. Keep password protected sharing off for now.
  • Share one drive or folder on the server with everyone.
  • Enable File & sharing on the HP.
  • From the HP, ping the server by name and by server's IP address. It's pass or fail. Does it pass?
  • Try and Map the new share you created on the server from the HP.
OK, I tried this with a slight difference and it worked... almost...

instead of pinging the server I opened the network folder and tried to connect and it errored but still worked (Firewall on server off), I set up the rest of the networked folders (however for all the folders I had to click browse and select the folder to map, even though I had typed them correctly, Only one that worked was the shared folder theat is hidden) and tested all, all worked but got the error inbetween setting up a couple folders, I then turned on the Norton Firewall and tested the folders, All worked fine, Restarted both machines and now they don't work again. I turned off the firewall again and tryed again (without restarting) and it still isn't working.

The desktop is still able to read from the laptop still though.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.