Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Alright, so a couple of weeks ago I started to experience some issues with Windows 7 doing a complete lock-up out of no-where. This is a brand new computer that I built roughly 2 months ago. The problems started probably 2 -3 weeks after I built this machine.

How the issue came about, I was doing some beta-testing of software for a company I work for. One of the programs I had installed (which at the time I didnt think much of it) made some changes to my network drivers (suppose to be a privatized VPN connection). After realizing that the VPN connection it had made was actually bogus, I removed the software & the all the connections it had made.

Roughly 2 days afterwards I started having BSODs out of no-where all related to memory management. So I started running diags, tested all the memory in this machine, physically pulled each piece out and tested it in a seperate machine, and couldn't identify the issue. So, I decided that it was probably a virus that was causing the issue. Avast, Avg, SuperAntiSpyware, Microsoft Malware, and several others all come back with "nothing found" (which of course I didnt install & run them all at the same time).

Getting annoyed with the BSODs, I ran a couple of registry cleaners to see if the issue was related to some piece of software that didnt get removed all the way. After running the registry cleaner, several issues were found and "fixed". Which, from that point forward, I have no longer had any BSODs.

Now the issue is the system just does a complete hang, no warning, no nothing. Just does a complete freeze. I had cleared all my event logs in hopes I could track down the issue. The times that lock-ups would happen, and the information shown in the event logs gave me no leads since whatever is causing this machine to lock-up apparently happens so quickly that windows cant log whats going on.

I have been working with computers for a long time, but this issue is about to drive me to my witts end. I ran the Windows System File Checker, it came back that it did find errors that it couldnt fix. However, when reviewing the log files, I have been unable to identify what exactly it was refering to. I also grabbed my dxdiag info, in hopes that someone out there can help me identify and resolve this issue.

Thank you!

Additional Note: When running in safe-mode I have experienced no lock-ups (which Im actually submitting this call for help from safe-mode right now).

Attachments

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
The CBS log shows corruption of graphical portions of Windows. They may have been caused by the removal of the VPN software you speak of.

Have you tried re-installing Windows?

For future reference: avoid registry cleaners. They do more harm than good.

An in-place upgrade install will leave your system files intact and only replace Windows files; programs and user files will not be affected. This is the least invasive re-install available.

A fresh install would be the next step if the repair install does not fix the problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Reinstalling windows was going to be my last resort, which I ran in to a slight problem in doing so. My original Windows 7 disk is professional edition, which a few weeks later I purchased the online upgrade to ultimate edition. When I enter my Windows 7 Professional disk, Windows informs me that it can't do the upgrade repair since the disk version is lower than than version of windows currently installed.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Alright, since you are not having problems in safe mode, and you want to leave a re-install as the last resort, here is what I recommend to start.
  1. How to perform a clean boot to troubleshoot a problem in Windows Vista or Windows 7

2. Optimize Windows 7 for better performance

3. Check your administrative event logs for re-occurring errors.

To get your administrative logs:
    • Click Start Menu
    • Type eventvwr into Search programs and files (do not hit enter)
    • Right click eventvwr.exe and click Run as administrator
    • Expand Custom Views
    • Click Administrative Events
    • Copy the descriptions into a web search engine to see if others have provided a solution or if Microsoft support has provided a solution. You may also want to search the Microsoft Support site for the errors.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.