Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings. I have came across something I have never seen before. I have an older HP Z420 workstation. When I try to install Windows 7 Pro, I get the message in the image below. It is asking for a compact disc driver. I do not understand why it would do this. I thought a way to get around it was to make an ISO image of the install DVD and write it to a USB drive. This made no difference, even if I removed the data cable from the compact disc drive.

Just to be clear, my source media is a genuine stamped MS DVD with a valid key. If anyone has any thoughts or ideas, I would like to see them. This machine has sat idle for a long time and I would like to be able to use it.

Computer Personal computer Operating system Font Screenshot

·
Global Moderator
Knowing how to use Google to solve problems
42,514 Posts
If your CD/DVD drive is not compatible with the Microsoft AHCI driver (msahci.sys), your disk controller may be set to AHCI in the system BIOS. You may be able to resolve the issue by disabling AHCI mode for your disk controller in the BIOS/Advanced tab.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think this is going to be redundant now. The system is stuck in "manufacturing mode" and I cannot clear it. Pressing the BIOS reset does nothing. It is totally ignoring any keyboard input. Bricked!

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think this is going to be redundant now. The system is stuck in "manufacturing mode" and I cannot clear it. Pressing the BIOS reset does nothing. It is totally ignoring any keyboard input. Bricked!
Disregard the above. A keyboard chose a bad time to fail. I can get into the BIOS but it still says manufacturing mode on the screen. I don't remember that being there before.

What if this is not about the CD drive. What if this is about the destination drive? This system has 10 SATA ports inside. 6 in a row across the bottom of the main board. 2 white and 4 gray. Just above, 2 which are black. Further up, 2 more also black but the connectors are perpendicular to the rest. To date, I have not been able to find a diagram explaining all of these. I cannot determine where to connect the hard drive and get it to work.

·
Global Moderator
42,514 Posts
You can plug in your HDD/SSD drive to the either of the White SATA ports on the bottom right of the motherboard. This video should explain it. Once you have your drive installed, restart the computer continuously pressing F10 or ESC to boot into Setup (Bios) Go to System Information and it should show your drive, if not then either the drive is not plugged in or it has failed.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the video. During the early wee hours of this morning, I managed to get the system to recognize the drive. Look at the image below. See the red dot. This is where I plugged the drive's data cable. I was able to do the full install from the DVD. This may not be the recommended spot, but it works. The reason I chose this location is because the compact disc drive is plugged just above it. The rest was like pulling teeth. Very few of the devices worked, including the USB ports. I put all the driver software on a DVD-R. Once I did that, I was able to transfer everything onto the hard drive. The USB driver failed to install the first time. I tried again and it did install. The driver is for a Texas Instruments device. There is no USB3 support. I am not sure this is correct. More research to do.

Now, I need to get it out "Manufacturing Mode." As I understand it, this disables or limits some of the onboard devices. This may be the culprit with the USB ports.

Passive circuit component Circuit component Electronic engineering Electrical wiring Engineering

·
Global Moderator
42,514 Posts
You should download your drivers directly from HP's Web site. HP Z420 Workstation Software and Driver Downloads | HP® Customer Support
To get out of Manufacturing Mode download the Bios Configuration Utility
If you are installing an SSD SATA III drive, you should use the dark gray SATA port on the bottom right of your case for 6GB transfer speed. If you are installing standard HDD you can install it on any of the other 4 light grey ports at the bottom of the case. The SATA port with the Red Dot is for another Optical drive, that is why your other optical drive is plugged into the one above it.
In Setup (Bios) make sure the SATA ports you are using are Enabled.d
We still strongly suggest you install Windows 10 to this computer. I just setup a Render Farm for a friend of mine using 2 of these work stations. I installed the latest Windows 10.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We still strongly suggest you install Windows 10 to this computer. I just setup a Render Farm for a friend of mine using 2 of these work stations. I installed the latest Windows 10...
I tried this. v21H1. It did not go well in the long run. It had frequent stability problems. I was trying to run it on a SATA SSD. Five minute startups on a mechanical drive simply did not work for me. The only advantage I saw was not having to hunt for drivers beyond a specific Nvidia driver for a GPU. I already knew where to get it.

As for the drivers, the site you recommended is where I went. I browsed until I found them bundled into a single large file. Everything was there. The drive is a low-power "Green" WD 500 GB. It may not support SATA III. However, it is being thrashed a bit so I will move the data cable to the far right port at the bottom.

I remembered something from very early this morning. Reference the photo above. Just above the two left SATA ports on the bottom is a jumper with a long tab on top. Somehow, I managed to pull it off. It is a three-pin setup like the older BIOS resets. I didn't remember how it was originally on there, so I guessed. I put it back on the upper pair of pins. This turned out to be incorrect. On the lower pair, no manufacturing management message. Some of the newer workstations probably manage this through the BIOS. Apparently, this one does not.

Three years ago, I bought a Z220. I liked it so well that when I saw this Z420, I jumped at it. This one turned out to be more complex than the Z220. but I do not mind.

·
Global Moderator
42,514 Posts
Any SATA drive that has been manufactured in the last 10 years is SATA III (6 Gbps or faster)
If you installed Windows 10 on a Mechanical HDD and it ran slow, don't blame Windows 10. The HDD was probably aged. Even a new mechanical HDD will run a lot slower then an SSD.
If you did a clean install of Windows 10 from a freshly burned USB Flash drive or newly burned DVD on an SSD plugged into the far right dark grey SATA ports with AHCI or RAID enabled in the Bios, it would run fast and smooth.
The Jumper pin you pulled off and replaced Cleared the CMOS settings to Default. Any custom settings in the Bios were also cleared. The writing next to the jumper probably says CLR CMOS or something similar. That was going to be my next suggestion.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts