Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
So my PC has been randomly crashing (OS: Windows 7 SP1). Sometimes when selecting a hyperlink on a web page, sometimes when I've walked away (seemingly as it's going into sleep mode)--in other words fairly randomly. I had been having errors that cited the Intel Matrix Storage Manager (http://www.sevenforums.com/crashes-debugging/142926-frequent-crashes.html), but those errors seem to have gone away (after a change in anti-virus, although that may have been coincidental). Some of the system restarts have failed to write any issue to the event manager, but the most recent had the below error in the event log.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Cheers,

Tim
-----------------------------
Keyword: Classic
Source: Disk
Event: 11
Task Category: None
General: The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk6\DR6.
Details:
- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
- <System>
<Provider Name="Disk" />
<EventID Qualifiers="49156">11</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-01-10T01:04:17.424247300Z" />
<EventRecordID>254808</EventRecordID>
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>T-Desktop</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
- <EventData>
<Data>\Device\Harddisk6\DR6</Data>

</EventData>
</Event>

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry about the word wrap issue; I can't seem to figure out how to edit my post to fix it either (if someone can tell me how, I'll put a hard return or 2 in!). [I get the edit option for this post, but not the original one]

No BSOD; screen just goes blank and the machine cycles. It's like I pulled the power cord.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not under warranty. And the crashes are fairly infrequent right now, so I'd be running in safe mode for awhile; I guess I'll give it a try after the next crash.

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
what are you running
video card brand and model
cpu
m/board
ram
power supply
brand
model
wattage

check the listings in the bios for 12v line voltages and temperatures and post them

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Much of the data below cam from running the Belarc Advisor Tool.

video card brand and model: ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series

cpu: 2.67 gigahertz Intel Core i5 750
64 kilobyte primary memory cache
256 kilobyte secondary memory cache
8192 kilobyte tertiary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (4 total)
Not hyper-threaded

m/board: Intel Corporation DP55WB AAE64798-204
Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
BIOS: Intel Corp. WBIBX10J.86A.0122.2009.0802.2219 08/02/2009

ram: 4088 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory
Slot 'J1MY' has 2048 MB
Slot 'J2MY' is Empty
Slot 'J3MY' has 2048 MB
Slot 'J5MY' is Empty

power supply: not sure--if I take it apart, is the Power supply labeled?

brand: Powerspec
model: B810
wattage How do I determine this?

check the listings in the bios for 12v line voltages and temperatures and post them: is this in the Bios menus?

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
take the side off the case and look at the label on the power supply

voltage and temps listed in the bios usually under hardware monitor wording may vary depending on brand of bios

·
Global Moderator
42,228 Posts
The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk6\DR6.
Boot into Setup (Bios) and find what device is plugged into Harddisk6 port on the computer. Try replacing it's SATA cable and/or change the power plug on it. If there is another SATA port available on the Motherboard change it to that port.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
take the side off the case and look at the label on the power supply

voltage and temps listed in the bios usually under hardware monitor wording may vary depending on brand of bios
My apologies for the delay (and I still haven't opened up the box to check on the power supply). The BIOS says this (if I'm in the right place:

Processor Thermal Margin 37C
Internal Temp 38 C
Remote Temp 41 C

V12.0 12.250 V
V5.0 5.181V
V3.3 3.317 V
V_SM 1.510 V
Vccp 1.277 V

I can't seem to figure out how to identify what's on HD6 in the BIOS?

·
Global Moderator
42,228 Posts
The bios info looks good. Temperatures are cool. 12.0 V line of PSU is strong (should be over 12.0 or higher) dai still would like you to take the side of the computer off and read the label on the PSU. We need the Make, Model# and Wattage.
In the Bios, did you check under SATA ports, for which drive is using port 06? Have you tried plugging it into a different SATA port?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry for the delayed response.

The bios info looks good. Temperatures are cool. 12.0 V line of PSU is strong (should be over 12.0 or higher) dai still would like you to take the side of the computer off and read the label on the PSU. We need the Make, Model# and Wattage.
In the Bios, did you check under SATA ports, for which drive is using port 06? Have you tried plugging it into a different SATA port?
Power Supply is Allied Model AL-D500 EXP. Max 500W.
I don't see anything in the BIOS about SATA ports. I have not tried changing them up, but I guess that's what I'll do next.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
what video card is in it

the psu is low quality it does not have enough 12v a output available for a pcie system

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Video card is a ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series. I absolutely HATE the video card, as the fan on it is incredibly loud (this machine was an open box special, and I'm guessing the reason it was returned was noise coming out of the video card). I don't game or use my system to watch movies or anything, so I've just lived with it rather than shelling out $ for a new video card.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is a "pcie" system? Are you saying I need to replace my power supply? If so, any suggestions on what to buy / how to decide what to buy?

Thanks!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
New power supply is in; you can visually tell the difference in quality. Now to see if PC runs without issue; I'll update in a few days. Thanks again.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.